Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

On That Patent to Disable the iPhone Camera

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Lots has been written about Apple receiving a patent that would allow infrared signals to temporarily disable the phone camera. I think Stereogum writer Collin Robertson best expresses my thoughts:

That might be OK … assuming the technology is only used at concerts and doesn’t extend to, like, disabling phone cameras during instances of police brutality and/or sociopolitical/religious unrest.

Most of the time patents never actually lead to shipped products, I hope that’s the case here.

2. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Yeah that technology in the wrong hands is a little scary

3. sambed

Newbie Supporter

@Jason Tate is it possible they would get the patent so no one else could?

4. Interesting thought. Something I hadn't thought about at all.

5. efp722

Regular

Whats to stop me from taking one of my other old iphones with me and just using that? It's not connected to wifi at all so it cant get the signal from the mother ship. I don't like this concept, cause when is enough? If they get this patent and are allowed to do this, whats next?

6. Kyle1130

I honestly think it's ridiculous the amount of public complaints from these artists. I believe there is benefits from putting the phone away for awhile but it should be your personal decision. You should have every right to take a picture at a concert you paid to go to. Who doesn't want to take a picture to remember seeing their favorite artist, band, etc.?

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  7. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Please do this everywhere. Thank you. Be in the moment.

theredline likes this.
  8. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

Why do other people care if someone uses their phone to record an experience in their life?

supernovagirl likes this.
  9. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Cause sometimes when you're at a show and there are hundreds of lit up screens between you and the artist it can be distracting

10. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

In regards to the concert aspect, definitely annoying when someone is holding it up in the air and blocking someone else's view the entire time, not a lot of common courtesy anymore, but if someone wants to take a picture or two and the artist doesn't have a camera policy stating no photos, then that's kind of unfortunate. I know most of the time those photos from a cellphone don't turn out the greatest if you're at distance from the stage, but still kind of cool to have a photo or two, at least for me.

11. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I honestly cannot imagine going to a concert and not taking pictures. I take pictures every day. Every important event, it's important to me to have pictures of it. Now, I use common courtesy as mentioned above. I'm not sitting there recording the whole thing. taking a picture only takes a few seconds and then you can put your phone away.
    I'm with the camp "why do people care if someone is """"in the moment"""" or not "?

Your "in the moment" might be different than mine. And that's okay!

Robk and Kiana like this.
  12. clucky

Trusted Supporter