Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Omnifocus App

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Jesse Atticus, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Jesse Atticus Apr 9, 2016
    (Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2016)
    Jesse Atticus

Newbie Supporter

OmniFocus is a personal task manager by The Omni Group for Mac OS X and iOS. The declared goal of the program is to be able to capture thoughts and ideas into to do lists. The program uses concepts and techniques described in the book Getting Things Done (commonly abbreviated as GTD) by David Allen.

If there are any users of Omnifocus on the forum this is where we can discuss our workflows, tips and tricks.

2. Omnifocus runs my life. Seriously, it's the single most important app I own and I would probably fall apart without it.

ianebaldwin and Jesse Atticus like this.
  3. Jesse Atticus

Newbie Supporter

I recently felt like my projects/contexts were getting to feel less conducive to my needs and deleted everything. Now I have an inbox with everything in it and am searching for tips on how to make my projects/contexts work better.

4. I keep my projects more varied, and have quite a few of them (113 actually), broken down mostly into bigger folders (chorus, forum, encore, home, health, finances, relationships, travel, car, technology, to follow up with, someday, misc, and templates) then I try and keep my contexts really tight and focused to drill down into what it is I want to work on.

5. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Windows alternative? :tear:

6. I think Wunderlist is on Windows, and I think 2Do is planning a release as well for Windows.

airik625 likes this.
  7. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Going to look into Wunderlist.

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I love OmniFocus the more I integrate it into my life though its been a very slow process.

I'm looking into trying OneNote for work and may start something tomorrow

9. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Wunderlist stopped working for me, no idea why. I almost forgot to send an e-mail the other day and it scared me - I really do need a reminder app on my desktop.

10. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

OmniFocus Video Field Guide

I highly recommend this video guide. I've been watching and doing all the steps the past couple weeks when I get a chance and it's already helping a ton really utilize the software to it's full potential.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. Jesse Atticus

Newbie Supporter

This was an excellent guide for learning Omnifocus.

12. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I tried out the app on Mac previously and it just seemed to be way more complex than I needed. I do have beta access on iOS now, though, so I'll be trying it out again. Currently Todoist is my main task manager. @Jason Tate 113 projects seems insane to me haha.

13. Haha. Yeahhh. Lots to juggle. :eh: Lot's of repeating tasks and templates I use on a regular basis. Haha.

14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I'm interested in templates mostly for my podcasts. Definitely have a lot to learn about this app haha.

15. Yeah, I have basically two reoccuring tasks for the podcast that show up on Thursday (edit day) and Friday (post and promote day) that give me a pretty detailed rundown of what I need to do and all the little stupid options to check and things to make sure get done.

16. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah since Missaligned and Sport's Up first started, I've had an extra step or two added in (mainly podcast chapters) so a template would be great for that.

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Beta, please tell me a major upgrade isnt coming after going all in?

18. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

The beta is just added support for callback urls and taskpaper it look like.

19. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Was it for this update they just put out today?

20. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Nope. Beta is on 2.14 right now. So just slightly ahead of the app store version.

21. It's review / re-tool the system day. I think I'm gonna be trying out some different ideas for contexts for the next month and trying to regroup my projects a little.

So, um, see you in a few hours!

Deanna likes this.
  22. Still going. It's been a day.

23. Search Omnifocus

Also I'm adding this Alfred workflow to my own ... workflow? ... so far it seems really great.

24. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I'm buying pro tonight and finishing the video guide. Hopefully have it fully utilized in my life soon. Sad that I've had it since about December/January time frame.

25. So close now I can feel it. I'm already so much happier with my new setup.