Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Omar Rodriguez-López Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Jul 7, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

You kinda have to throw out the idea of chronological with him, because they aren't even released in the order they are made, like... at all. These 12 and 12 albums he is putting out now were created at various points over the last like... 10 years. Chronologically by release is kinda meaningless here

2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

yeah, i know this logically but my habits skew in that direction unless i kind of come to the realization every time of "hey, you can just put on an album and don't have to chart the progression of an artist every time" just because doing exactly that is how i got into music in the first place. but yeah im definitely gonna put one of the ones recommended on. how often/quickly do the new ones get on spotify, btw?

3. irthesteve

I usually just listen on bandcamp, not sure about spotify, but I would guess right after release?

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  4. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

Samples from A Lovejoy

5. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

have we confirmed Omar is indeed human and not a sentient music writing AI?

6. irthesteve

Crystal Fairy album is out Feb 24

[​IMG]

1. Chiseler
    2. Drugs on the Bus
    3. Necklace Of Divorce
    4. Moth Tongue
    5. Crystal Fairy
    6. Secret Agent Rat
    7. Under Trouble
    8. Bent Teeth
    9. Posesión
    10. Sweet Self
    11. Vampire X-Mass

Crystal Fairy tour dates (tickets on sale Friday, Dec. 16 at 10 am pacific):
    February 21 Santa Ana, CA The Observatory Constellation Room
    February 22 San Diego, CA Casbah
    February 23 Pioneertown, CA Pappy & Harriet’s
    February 24 Los Angeles, CA The Troubadour
    February 25 San Francisco, CA Slim’s

7. irthesteve

Not into Nom De Guerre Cabal, it's kinda a slightly organized mess. I find it super interesting that these are supposed to be versions of tracks from Solo Extraneo, because on the surface they are extremely different in style

8. irthesteve

Listening to Some Need It Lonely right now, it's kinda at the point where most of the albums are just sounding the same... even the Cedric track was just a tease, he basically is talking the whole time haha

neo506 likes this.
  9. irthesteve

10. irthesteve

Listening to Corazones again, it's really such an interesting record. Easily one of the most straightforward things I've heard from him, and it's pretty cool to hear what his music would be like in like, an alternate universe

11. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

Have you been keeping up with the latest releases? I've fallen behind (not to mention I'm significantly less interested in his non guitar albums)

coleslawed likes this.
  12. irthesteve

I got through the first 12, gonna run back through those at work once, then get into the next 12... haha. I still can't believe this dude

13. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

irthesteve likes this.
  14. irthesteve

Listened to Aranas el la Sombra today and got lost down a comatorium forum black hole, but came out the other side with interesting info. 6-8 of the songs on this album were actually from those 15 demos that leaked or "leaked" a few years back as Mars Volta tracks. I have those in my iTunes still and definitely want to go back and check it out again now. Anyway, the album is pretty solid if you kinda focus on all the music instead of Omar's voice. I feel bad saying it, but I think I would really really enjoy some of these albums more as instrumental than with Omar singing

15. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

Ye
    I remember a lot of people hating the production on it. Someone went so far as to "clean it up" to put it more in line with TMV's work. I'll have to track that down again

16. irthesteve

Hmmm that's a bit extreme haha. The prodction was fine to me, the drums were certainly the worst part, but it kinda fits the vibe of the album anyway

17. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

Found it

18. irthesteve

Just now getting around to the Crystal Fairy album, it's not too bad overall but not quite my thing. I do have to admit that this is the most I've ever enjoyed Teri's vocals

19. Bane

The spiciest meme

I really enjoy the Crystal Fairy album

20. irthesteve

Unsurprisingly, it's so hard to keep track of Omar's output, but I just learned that he (with Marcel and Thomas Pridgen) played with Juliette Lewis as her band for an album called Terra Incognita. I'm listening to it right now and it's pretty fucking cool, highly reccomended for Omar/TMV fans

coleslawed likes this.
  21. irthesteve

Ok my friends.............. I am starting the second batch of 12 albums right now!!! Up first, A Lovejoy.

And.... it's a hit!! Definitely an upper level of this series so far. Tracks alternate between nice ambiance and electronic Omar-vocal songs, but the album actually flows really well.

And this song is really fucking cool, listen to it at least

22. I like this album a lot.

irthesteve likes this.
  23. irthesteve

Omar/Deantoni show, I'd be into that

coleslawed likes this.
  24. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

Full set

25. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude