Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Olivia Rodrigo - SOUR (May 21, 2021) • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Mar 31, 2021.

1. And that’s not a diss on Kendrick. But Rodrigo’s first two singles both debut in the hot 100 top 10

kendrick only has 3 singles ever to debut in the hot 100 top 1 - with humble being the only one to feature just him (all the stars was with SZA and pray for me with The Weeknd)

so unless Kendrick Lamar’s new album has two singles debut in the hot 100 top 10 his streaming won’t come close to SOUR

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

If Adele actually releases something, Steve is right: that's probably the year's top-selling album.

sawhney[rusted]2 and irthesteve like this.
  3. I don’t think so - music landscape and vibe has changed so much since 2015

OhTheWater, beachdude and smowashere like this.
  4. 25 only had two hot 100 top 10s - hello was 1 and send my love was 8

5. This and Silk Sonic will be the biggest/best debuts of the year.

sawhney[rusted]2 and beachdude like this.
  6. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Matt Chylak likes this.
  7. irthesteve

If, and it's always a big if, Adele releases a new album this year, it absolutely could be the best selling album of the year, that's not a baffling statement in the slightest.

8. irthesteve

Taylor has the best selling album of 2019 and 2020, neither of which had any huge breakout singles. Best selling album of 2018 also, and again... the singles weren't what carried it.

9. Craig Manning

Adele and Taylor Swift collectively have the top-selling albums for five of the last six years. That's a tough record to bet against, especially since there's not much indication other than sheer dormancy to suggest that people have stopped caring about her music. I doubt her figures will be anywhere near what they were for 25, but she still sells CDs and has been away long enough that there is going to be a lot of pent-up demand for new music from her.

You also have to go back to 2003 to find the last time a debut artist released the top-selling album of the year (unless you count The Greatest Showman). It’s relatively rare, even for breakout stars. Olivia could absolutely break the streak, but it does kind of depend on which heavy hitters are on the field.

irthesteve likes this.
  10. Craig Manning

Actually, Adele and Taylor have eight of the last 10 years, and nine of the last 12. What a wild streak from both of them. The only artists to claim a year, sales-wise, since 2009 are Eminem and Justin Timberlake, plus a Hugh Jackman movie.

irthesteve likes this.
  11. irthesteve

Streaming is obviously king right now, but a common tread with the biggest selling albums of the last 5-10 years is the ability to have big streaming numbers AND big physical sales. Olivia obviously has the first part down pat, but will her fans be showing up in spades for physical copies? I'm not convinced.

Zilla and Craig Manning like this.
  12. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Just want to add when talking about Adele releasing make sure there’s always an extreme emphasis on the word “if” lmao

Same with Rihanna

13. irthesteve

Really trying to use the word "if" a lot here, don't worry

14. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Also, speaking of, Rihanna releasing this year could be huge

irthesteve likes this.
  15. irthesteve

Drake could release a 50-track album and destroy all records too, his ability to top all the charts is astouding

16. Well Adele only accounts for 1 of those 6 during the past five years right

17. Rihanna yes if R9 releases it’ll be the biggest of the year

18. Craig Manning

Two: 25 was the top-selling album two years in a row (2015 and 2016).

irthesteve likes this.
  19. Again the majority of those are Taylor Swift

Adele has two albums that were huge huge and she hasn’t released anything in almost 6 years

20. Ah ok I was just thinking of albums not years

21. irthesteve

Side question, what other albums have ever achieved this feat?

22. But yeah even if Adele releases something I think Rodrigo will have more sales

Rihanna and Beyoncé and Taylor will always be the top of the top

beachdude and ItsAndrew like this.
  23. Craig Manning

Well, 21 for one. She's the only artist to do it in my lifetime, and she did it twice. Before that, you'd have to go back to Thriller, and before that, I think you'd have to go back to the West Side Story soundtrack.

Again, if she releases something, that’s not a track record I’d bet against.

irthesteve likes this.
  24. irthesteve

Crazy stuff.

25. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Adele has that rare crossover with older people who still buy CDs and people who will stream it. That's super tough to compete with if you're a new or younger artist with a fanbase that probably has never touched a CD.