Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Olivia Rodrigo – “Brutal” Video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

that's a hard "nope" from me...made it through the end of the first chorus before turning it off

3. gbuffers

England.

She can do no wrong. Album of the year for me.

So happy to see Dan Nigro at the helm as well.

scottlechowicz and metallikunt like this.
  4. strummer

Obvious joke but the song title couldn't be more appropriate. Hope she also gave songwriting credits to Elvis Costello.

5. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Allthegiganticthings likes this.
  6. PissinintheWind

Not Miserable Now

I stopped at exactly the same spot......just awful!

CyberInferno likes this.
  7. mybreakingpoint

The Greatest Escapegoat

Same spot for me. I’ve wanted to like her other stuff, but this especially did absolutely nothing for me. She’s very talented with a good range, so I’m not sure why she decided to go basically amelodic for this song—that’s usually reserved for those with minimal vocal skills, which is not her.

CyberInferno likes this.
  8. strummer

DrAlanGrant and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  9. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

This song is awesome. Buncha dingus’, the lot of ya.

10. MacbethSin

Regular

monotone delivery is the ENTIRE VIBE of this song lol

"where's my fucking teenage dream" is not something you sing with more than 2 notes

11. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Song is fantastic. Such a tantalizing album opener.

DrAlanGrant and Brent like this.
  12. jeff.dart

Regular

Couldn’t get into her stuff. Fortunately this thread made me realize I’ve never actually checked out Elvis Costello until now and, damn, he’s got some great tunes.

13. WasteSomeTime

Regular

I’m with what others here have said I just don’t see her appeal. Average voice with average songs. I listened to the album again on the way back home on a road trip and seriously just don’t see the fascination. This song in particular is one of the ones I actually kind of like.

14. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Huge Fefe Dobson vibes from this song/record. God I miss the Feef.

15. strummer

Prepare yourself for some of the best melodies you've ever heard. If you need some album recommendations: This Year's Model, Armed Forces, All This Useless Beauty, Brutal Youth.

jeff.dart likes this.
  16. jeff.dart

Regular

Thanks! I’ll gladly take those recs.

17. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

The song is great and she definitely doesn’t have just an average voice

18. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Wow, that's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time.

How popular was she in the States back in the days? I've always assumed she only had modest success in Canada.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  19. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Brutal is my favorite song on the album. So glad it got the video treatment!

20. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Ehhh not very. I think the height of her popularity was 03-04 around when her first album came out. She was maybe Simple Plan level popular (if that) for a little bit in the states. From what I understand, she got fucked over when Island records shelved the second album she recorded, and she kinda faded away from there. The record eventually made its way to streaming services a few years ago, and it's a drag because if that same record was released now during this pop punk renaissance thing we're having, I think it'd do really well.

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.