Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Old (M. Night Shyamalan, July 23, 2021) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Feb 7, 2021.

1. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

The sixth sense is the scariest movie I’ve ever seen and it’s not even close. I cannot watch it.

2. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

The hanging ghosts at the school in "The Sixth Sense" stayed with me for a long time as a teenager.

chewbacca110 and Serenity Now like this.
  3. TJ Wells Jul 23, 2021
    (Last edited: Jul 24, 2021)
    TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

As someone who wakes up in the middle of the night most nights, I STILL think about that scene with the lady daily. Also, when Cole is locked in the crawl space, my imagination did alllll the work.

Serenity Now and chewbacca110 like this.
  4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

It drives me crazy when people call him a hack or a one hit wonder or whatever. I know film is subjective, but that just seems like being completely unwilling to engage with all the elements of his work just because you don’t like his storytelling.

5. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I've disliked a lot Shyamalan's work, but that scene is one of the most effective I've seen from any director.

It reminds me a bit of the diner scene in Mulholland Drive, in the sense that you sort of know what's about to happen, and yet are entirely unprepared for it all the same.

6. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

I loved 6th sense. Didnt see it coming.

I loved unbreakable. Samuel L Jackson was great.

The HAppening trailer looks crazy. Never saw the movie. Might watch that.

7. J12

Trusted Supporter

Seeing this tonight. I don't like most of M. Night's newer stuff, but I always at least give it a shot and respect the chances he's willing to take.

I still contend that, if not for the lame twist, Signs would be one of the scariest films ever made. It kind of falls apart there at the end, especially once the aliens are revealed and on screen, but man, the tension in the build is incredible. One of those movies where leaving the imagination to work for the entire film would've done wonders. If I never saw the aliens again beyond the birthday party and the roof, I'd be happy. And still scared.

8. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Signs was huge for me as a kid, and that birthday party scene, in particular, is so effective.

The first time I watched The Sixth Sense was at a sleepover. I couldn't sleep the entire night because I thought my friend's basement was haunted, and it was so bad that I remember having to use the bathroom but being too afraid to stand up. Held it the entire night until the sun came out. I was afraid of ghosts for years after that.

Serenity Now likes this.
  9. Furry Werthers

Trusted

This is just in theaters, right?

10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Correct

11. Furry Werthers

Trusted

Damn. I'm in Jacksonville FL which is a Delta hotspot and even tho I got the vac, everyone here is uhhhhh kinda loosey goosey and I'm not sure if I wanna roll those dice :/

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Serenity Now likes this.
  13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

should also warn others that if motion sickness is something you tend to deal with, you might wanna skip this for that as well, or at least sit closer to the back

14. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I get motion sickness pretty damn easily and never even thought about it here.

15. PolarBlare

Regular Supporter

This gets thumbs up from me, and I didn’t like the Happening. I can see the similarity, but this is waaaaaay better execution in my opinion.

Serenity Now and TJ Wells like this.
  16. Morrissey

Trusted

Some of the camera movements reminded me of motion blur in video games.

17. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Broken bones lady was nice and creepy.

chewbacca110 and Serenity Now like this.
  18. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

This was so bad in so many different ways it came back around to amazing. One of the most fun movie going experiences I’ve had in a long time.

19. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

isn't the happening considered, like, one of the worst movies of all time?

20. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Not even close, After Earth and The Last Airbender are much worse. The Happening has moments especially early on that still I find terrifying.

21. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

fair enough. i think i was thinking more of the conversation around it at time of release, with those both coming quite a bit of time after, but it does look like the scores for both are a few points lower on all the sites

22. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I saw the sixth sense at the drive in when I was like 11 and it terrified me.

This was fine.

23. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The Happening is horrendous. He tried to after the fact to say he was “trying to make a B movie” but like, nah that’s not how that works lol

24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

25. This thread is definitely the first time I’ve ever seen anything even remotely positive mentioned or implied about The Happening. Opinions are opinions but I assumed that movie being awful was canon, haha. It is so so bad

Aaron Mook and phaynes12 like this.