Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Old (M. Night Shyamalan, July 23, 2021) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

I haven't seen this yet, but I will say I'm always impressed by his camera work in his movies and his ability to frame a scene and move the camera around. Probably going to see this this weekend and give my opinion. I was a huge M Night fan all the way through the happening and then I never saw after earth, the visit, split or glass and I turned off the last air bender like 20 minutes in (watching it fresh after the series was just brutal). Despite the hate, I liked both the village and lady in the water for what they were (i think M Night casting himself in Lady in the water as the writer to save the world was what was doomed that movie). The village was solid and I think only failed because it was marketed as non-stop horror then was a relative slow burn with little actual danger.

2. Morrissey

Trusted

The Village is probably his best film. The hype and expectations were too high and doomed it to obscurity.

3. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Tetra I really can’t tell if you liked this movie or if you’re trolling. Honestly

4. Morrissey

Trusted

It was very good, although the ending steps on the moral issues that the twist raises.

Lucas27 likes this.
  5. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Okay cool, I’m seeing it this week. Have been a fan of most of his stuff so I’m excited

6. Morrissey

Trusted

It is probably the most similar to The Happening, which is a great or bad thing depending on your outlook. That is where the conversations about bar acting and bad dialogue come from; if you appreciate the B-movie hamminess it works more.

7. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

The Village didn't work for me because I read Running Out of Time as a kid. Saw it in theaters and was bummed that the twist was just the plot of another story.

8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

the village is not his best. it wouldn’t be top 3 for me. arguably not even top 5.

9. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

The village is way better than I or anyone gave it credit for back then.

jkauf likes this.
  10. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

The Village was great

11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Unbreakable >>>>

JoshIsMediocre, jkauf and phaynes12 like this.
  12. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Unbreakable is absolutely the best even though I have a huge soft spot for Signs

JoshIsMediocre likes this.
  13. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

Unbreakable
    Signs
    The Visit

then the village and split are a tossup

JoshIsMediocre likes this.
  14. Morrissey

Trusted

1. The Village
    2. Signs
    3. The Happening
    4. Lady in the Water
    5. Old
    6. The Sixth Sense
    7. Unbreakable
    8. Split

I never saw the others.

15. Morrissey

Trusted

A lot of the art film world appreciated it back then. It made the top tens of Reverse Shot and Cahiers du Cinema.

16. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

I was gonna be mad about it but then I remembered there’s a rapper named Lil House Phone

17. Morrissey

Trusted

Honestly the best thing for this movie was to have so many generic, bland, forgettable horror movie trailers before it. It really helps to shine a light on what real filmmaking is.

wordzanddreamz likes this.
  18. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

I really enjoy this list because it shows the range. He makes a lot of different movies that can be enjoyed in different ways by different people for different reasons. My list wouldn’t look like this at all (minus the Village being #1) but I love that you love certain ones more than they are “supposed to be”

PolarBlare likes this.
  19. Rowan5215

lady in the water is legitimately one of the worst films I've seen in theatres

20. Morrissey

Trusted

Split was my least favorite but it was still interesting. Other than that my list would like very different in a week.

I might go back and rewatch his filmography because it has been so long for some of them. I don't think I have seen The Sixth Sense since theaters.

21. Morrissey

Trusted

In Lady in the Water, Shyamalan making himself a prophet and the film critic gets eaten by a monster. What is not to like?

22. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Signs is my personal favorite

Rowan5215 likes this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

Signs is probably the most scared I ever felt in a theater. The way the alien walks across the street at the birthday party video is both immediately recognizable as human but scarier because it is something that we can recognize.

24. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Signs scared the hell out of me on my first watch. That scene ^, the knife under the door, the figure on the roof, the reflection of the alien in the tv. All of those stuck with me for a long time.

25. Rowan5215

Joaquin Phoenix yelling "MOVE CHILDREN! VAMONOS" at the television screen honestly lives rent-free in my head. he's so good in that movie