Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Old Gray - Slow Burn (December 9, 2016) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Contender, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

well this doesn't really feel like an old gray song for most of it

3. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Whoa. Awesome

4. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

didnt like it much.

5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

yeah this was alright. felt like one of the darker sorority noise songs for part of it, though i probably do like them more than old gray at this point
    idk, it's fine i guess

teebs41 likes this.
  6. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Really like that

7. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

This is about where I am. I've never loved old gray and have always been slightly more than lukewarm on sorority noise and since this leans a lot towards the latter I guess it's cool

@teebs41 is this what you meant by singing/screaming in emo?

teebs41 likes this.
  8. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Didn't really grab me on first listen, but interested to hear where the rest of the album goes.

9. SayHello

Regular

Don't like old Old Gray. Like this new song. Pretty cool. Hope the entire record is in this vein.

10. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Lol not entirely but I liked the song

11. Jake Z

Regular

I actually like the song, I can see where the beginning especially puts off SN vibes, but the rest is def Old Gray. You guys had me scared that Cam had taken all of the skramz out, haha.

12. Contender

13. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i like this one a lot more. i'd rather sorority noise not bleed into this project.

14. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

cant stand the production on either song

15. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I like the songs but it's like they make it sound bad just to give it a raw sound but I think I know what they were going for

16. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

theres a fine line between raw production and bad production. this is bad

Joe4th likes this.
  17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I really really dig Old Gray, but I agree that there's something about the production that makes certain guitar sounds in the songs weirdly metallic and harsh, but not in a way that sounds intentional. It's not aggressive, it's not noise, it's just a weird sound that somehow cuts through everything, and it occasionally happens with the cymbals too. I'm thinking more about An Autobiography, none of that really bothers me on these new songs, even though I feel like I can kind of hear that popping up.
    I really liked that first new song they did, enjoyed the stop start quality and the background screaming. I think it's way more frenetic than Sorority Noise on record, but I can hear how it might sound like SN live

18. openheart

As a fan of all Old Gray's previous releases, the production of these two songs reminds me a lot of Everything I Let Go & The Things I Refuse To. Both of these new songs have 'start-stop' elements; I'd be curious to hear the quieter, "I Still Think About Who I Was Last Summer"-esque songs (if there is any on this album) to really judge the production.

Regardless, this isn't Cam's first rodeo as a producer. Everything he's done on Slow Burn is most definitely intentional, even if some people think it's downright bad.

My sense right off the bat is that this album was likely a little rushed. The fact that all 11 songs fit on one side of the 12" tells me there's a few songs hovering around the one to two-minute mark. Although Old Gray was Cam's first big project, I think it's safe to say Sorority Noise is his main focus.

Guess we'll find out how Slow Burn really measures against An Autobiography on the 9th of December.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  19. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Had no clue they were putting out something until I saw them on my Release Radar in Spotify. I liked a lot of their one-off releases and EPs and splits, but the Autobiography LP didn't do much for me. Hopefully this one resonates with me a little more.

20. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

It sounds like they're deliberately trying to ape the production of all those terrible sounding skramz records of the early-00s (which is definitely where that metallic-sounding guitar tone comes from), which seems kinda silly - those records were very much a product of their time and subsequent limited access to decent, affordable recording equipment.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  21. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Yea just make stuff sound good

22. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Yeah the production on these songs is awful and really detracts from the songs.

23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Has Cam always produced the Old Gray stuff?

24. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I can't see this band name without thinking this

[​IMG]

SamLevi11 likes this.
  25. Contender