Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Old Country Etc Thread Genre • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Jun 1, 2020.

1. jdr2187

jdr2187

You guys should check out this new Bobby Bare album from 1978. All the songs were written by Shel Silverstein and it’s kind of a concept album about partying on Saturday night. It was locked away for years but finally got released for the first time a few months back.

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Silverstein was a very different kind of writer than I expected. His stuff for Dr. Hook was the best kind of twisted. This interests me

3. jdr2187 Jul 4, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 4, 2020)
    jdr2187

jdr2187

Yeah he was definitely unique. He actually wrote a lot of songs for Bobby Bare, some of them being some of this most popular ones. I honestly didn’t realize just how much songwriting he did until this album got me to look into his history. He was a super talented guy.

4. cshadows2887

Gotta love when you write “A Boy Named Sue” in your SIDE MEDIUM

jdr2187 likes this.
  5. jdr2187

jdr2187

For the Blaze Foley fans, Blaze is on Netflix now and I highly recommend watching it if you haven’t seen it yet. Really great little film.

zmtr and phaynes12 like this.
  6. jdr2187

jdr2187

Listened to Rodney Crowell’s self titled album the other day after seeing Vincent Neil Emerson post about it and I really enjoyed it. Anybody got any recs on other albums of his?

7. cshadows2887

I really liked Close Ties from a few years ago. Not well versed on his prime stuff.

8. jdr2187

jdr2187

I’m more interested in his earlier albums but I’ll def give that album a go. Thanks for the rec.

9. DaydreamNation Sep 24, 2020
    (Last edited: Sep 24, 2020)
    I've only ever listened to his debut and The Houston Kid but would recommend both

edit: no I'm wrong. I haven't listened to the debut, just know the very famous title track. Diamonds & Dirt is the older one I've heard a few times and it's really good

cshadows2887 and jdr2187 like this.
  10. zmtr

Trusted

posting so i can remind myself to watch this later

jdr2187 likes this.
  11. Rodney's own version of "Ain't Living Long Like This" is the inferior version though even though he wrote the song. Gary Stewart, Emmylou and Waylon all did better covers

12. cshadows2887

The beautiful thing about great writers.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  13. jdr2187

jdr2187

Jerry Jeff Walker last week, and now Billie Joe Shaver. Huge losses. RIP.

14. cshadows2887

I only know them from their songs other people had hits with. I should really find an album for each

15. Damn rip billie joe shaver

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

17. jdr2187

jdr2187

Light in the Attic just released this Willie Dunn compilation a week or so ago and I highly recommend it.

18. phaynes12 likes this.
  19. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

hell yeah, that's great

20. jdr2187

jdr2187

Just bumping this thread to say that Live At The Old Quarter is the best live album of all time.

cshadows2887 and DaydreamNation like this.
  21. Damn forgot about this thread, we're gonna bring it back this summer I promise

jdr2187 likes this.
  22. jdr2187

jdr2187

I’ve been on a huge Townes kick lately. He’s almost all I’ve listened to the past 2 weeks. With that said, I often say that Prine’s S/T is one of the few perfect 10/10 albums I know of, but I think Townes s/t might be there as well. Maybe it shouldn’t coubt bc he re-recorded 4 earlier songs for that album, but it is just perfect front to back, and the re-recorded versions are so much better than the originals anyways.

DaydreamNation and phaynes12 like this.
  23. Selling my Vinyl Me Please orange variant of John Prine if anyone is interested!

24. jdr2187

jdr2187

Really cool outtakes/demos compilation from Lee Hazlewood out today.

25. cshadows2887

It's been YEARS and I've fucking HEARD Nancy & Lee and I still always initially assume it's the "God Bless the U.S.A." dweeb.

jdr2187 and DaydreamNation like this.