Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Old Country Etc Thread Genre • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Jun 1, 2020.

1. zmtr

Trusted

Jackson C Frank was a brilliant songwriter and had a really sad/interesting story.

Jackson C. Frank - Wikipedia

phaynes12 likes this.
  2. jdr2187

jdr2187

One guy I’ve really been digging into recently is Lyle Lovett. Until recently I pretty much was only familiar with If I Had A Boat. He’s a great songwriter, unfortunately some of his albums suffer from that kind of cheesy 80’s production.

cshadows2887, zmtr and phaynes12 like this.
  3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i’ve always wanted to check him out but never knew where to start

4. jdr2187

jdr2187

I started with I Love Everybody and then jumped back to the debut and started working my way forward. So far I think I like I Love Everybody the best, Skinny Legs and Creeps Like Me that I posted above are both from that album.

phaynes12 likes this.
  5. My s/o was playing a Lyle Lovett Spotify playlist the other day and I was surprised by how many of the songs I recognized and how good they were. Also have always meant to check his stuff out more

phaynes12 and jdr2187 like this.
  6. zmtr

Trusted

Feel like this belongs here. There’s something so haunting about Pete’s banjo playing on this track.

“I know the police cause you trouble
    They cause trouble everywhere
    But when you die and go to Heaven
    You'll find no policemen there”

phaynes12 and DaydreamNation like this.
  7. jdr2187 Jun 11, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 11, 2020)
    jdr2187

jdr2187

This is tonight. Apparently they will be premiering a new JP song too.

phaynes12, DaydreamNation and zmtr like this.
  8. zmtr

Trusted

Vince Gill’s performance might’ve been my favorite of the night.. his voice is just always so incredible...

Also John’s sons singing Paradise... ugh..

phaynes12 likes this.
  9. jdr2187

jdr2187

I definitely thought Kevin Bacon was just introducing someone else, not performing. I enjoyed it though.

10. phaynes12

sturgill's and margo's recked me

zmtr and jdr2187 like this.
  11. jdr2187

jdr2187

Man that Crazy As A Loon performance was so weird, but I’m so glad they chose that song.

12. zmtr

Trusted

I say this as a very biased person (wearing a JPrine tee right now) but this might be the best tribute concert type deal I’ve ever seen

phaynes12 likes this.
  13. zmtr

Trusted

Summer’s End might be a top 3 song of his.. just unbelievable

phaynes12 likes this.
  14. Wasn't able to watch it live but oh so excited to have this on tomorrow while doing work. Not sure how much work will get done though based on yalls comments

phaynes12 likes this.
  15. jdr2187

jdr2187

I’m not crying, you’re crying.

zmtr likes this.
  16. Here it is for anyone else who missed it (also just for me so I can find it tomorrow morning)

zmtr and phaynes12 like this.
  17. phaynes12

truly unreal how many of his all time songs are from tree. dude was a legend right til the end.

zmtr likes this.
  18. If not for the American Recordings series I'd say Tree of Forgiveness is the best career-ending statement anyone's ever recorded. And even then it might still be.

zmtr and phaynes12 like this.
  19. jdr2187

jdr2187

Yep it would def get my vote. I’d also put Leonard Cohen’s You Want It Darker up there.

phaynes12, DaydreamNation and zmtr like this.
  20. Yeah that's a fantastic one too

21. jdr2187

jdr2187

zmtr, DaydreamNation and phaynes12 like this.
  22. That song is so good it's fucked up

zmtr and jdr2187 like this.
  23. Oh boy was not emotionally prepared for Jason's cover of "Hello in There" right at the beginning of this thing

phaynes12 likes this.
  24. Amanda got dem pipes on this "Clocks and Spoons" cover damn

25. jdr2187 Jun 12, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 12, 2020)
    jdr2187

jdr2187

Idk anything about The Secret Sisters but I thought their cover of Souvenirs was low key one of the best of the night. The dad was spot on with the finger picking.

zmtr likes this.