Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Old 97s - Graveyard Whistling (February 24, 2017) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ChaseTx, Feb 11, 2017.

1. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

[​IMG]

Matthewconte likes this.
  2. ChaseTx

They're on Seth Meyers tonight

Album is out Friday, wooo

Matthewconte likes this.
  3. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Did you pre-order the vinyl? I couldn't decide what color to go with -- the color of the LP doesn't make a difference to me but the album cover -- and eventually just went with blue because it's the one that's been most prominent.

I'm also curious about the performance tonight, seeing as their lead single has a guest vocalist singing full on verses. I wonder if Rhett will just sing it or they'll have someone else there.

4. ChaseTx

I didn't because I don't want to pay the shipping and the bundles weren't anything special. I'm sure I can pick it up in a record store near me, especially because they're local. I'll probably go with either blue or red if I have the choice

It would be cool if Brandi is there too, they may just play All Who Wander

5. ChaseTx

Oh, apparently Nikki Lane is going to be on with them. She's great.

wonder if she's just singing Brandi's part to Good With God or of its a different song

6. ChaseTx

7. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Now that I think about it...I'd bet they've got enough cool female singer friends around the country to basically do that all the time. I've seen Heather from Spring Standards, Nicole Atkins, Lydia Loveless (now Nikki Lane) etc. join them on stage plus they have done songs with Exene Cervenka, Rachel Yamagata etc.

ChaseTx likes this.
  8. ChaseTx

Yeah, I've seen Nikki Lane do Four Leaf Clover with them as well. She's a really good fit.

I was kinda hoping it would be a new song, haha

9. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

There's a new song called "Jesus Loves You" that's been played live and is floating around youtube, I don't know if you've heard it. Pretty good.

ChaseTx likes this.
  10. ChaseTx

First impressions good, several songs have a pronounced country tinge, fiddles and steel guitars on a couple tracks. A darker mood on the first half I think. Early favorites are "She Hates Everybody" and "Irish Whiskey Pretty Girls"

11. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I'm very much enjoying it... I like "Jesus Loves You": "Jesus loves you, more than I do/Just because he doesn't know you, not like I do."

Only one Murry song, I think? I like the closer, too. Sing-along last songs always work for me.

ChaseTx likes this.
  12. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

It was a little while ago, but Rhett was on Chris Shifflett's podcast and mentioned that he has a solo album out soon and the Old 97's have an album of Christmas originals coming out this holiday season.

Episode 120 - Rhett Miller

ChaseTx likes this.
  13. ChaseTx

Will definitely jam some more 97s Christmas tunes

Still haven't listened to much of his solo stuff

Matthewconte likes this.
  14. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Solo stuff is all pretty good...self-titled is probably my favorite, but The Believer and The Dreamer are great, too. Instigator has got some great songs.

ChaseTx likes this.
  15. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I've noticed some self-references on the new solo album.

In "Total Disaster" he's got references to "Big Brown Eyes", "Oppenheimer", and "This Is What I Do":
    Girl's name and the color of her eyes
    Street name and the phase of the moon
    Write 'em down in a beat-up notebook
    Set it to a catchy tune

This is what I do to all of you

"I Used To Write In Notebooks" has references to "BBE" and "Sweet Dreams":
    I used to call the bank up
    For the temperature and time

I used to have sweet dreams
    When I was poor

ChaseTx likes this.
  16. ChaseTx

good catches! I still need to listen to it. Also might go ahead and order the holiday album

17. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I was sort of hesitant on that, too, but I caved eventually. I don't have a ton of other Christmas LPs, just a bunch of Frank Sinatra and then John Denver and the Muppets.

18. ChaseTx

I've got the Kacey Musgraves Chrismas album, it's a great one