Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Okkervil River Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by kpatrickwood, May 17, 2016.

1. kpatrickwood May 17, 2016
    (Last edited: May 18, 2016)
    kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

New record titled Away is coming Sept 9.

1. Okkervil River R.I.P.
    2. Call Yourself Renee
    3. The Industry
    4. Comes Indiana Through the Smoke
    5. Judey on a Street
    6. She Would Look for Me
    7. Mary on a Wave
    8. Frontman in Heaven
    9. Days Spent Floating (in the Halfbetween)

Fall Tour Dates

From the press release...

The new Okkervil River album is called Away. I didn’t plan to make it and initially wasn’t sure if it was going to be an Okkervil River album or if I’d ever put it out. I wrote the songs during a confusing time of transition in my personal and professional life and recorded them quickly with a brand new group of musicians. I got together the best New York players I could think of, people whose playing and personalities I was fans of and who came more out of a jazz or avant garde background, and we cut the songs live in one or two takes – trying to keep things as natural and immediate as
    possible – over three days in a studio on Long Island that hosts the Neve 8068 console which recorded Steely Dan’s Aja and John Lennon’s Double Fantasy. I asked Marissa Nadler to sing on it and got the composer Nathan Thatcher to write some beautiful orchestral arrangements, we recorded them with the classical ensemble yMusic and thenI mixed the record with Jonathan Wilson out in Los Angeles.

(Shout out to @chris for the killer detective work.)

chris likes this.
  2. chris

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

3. Horrorca

Trusted

Black Sheep Boy is a monument and it got me through some heavy shit - amazing band

would love to see them live, such powerful music

4. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

One of the best and most consistent bands around, I would love a new album. The Silver Gymnasium was great, I still play it from time to time,

Really fun live, too.

5. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Did the DDTDR film ever come out? I think Will has been sitting on it for like a year at this point.

6. chris

Trusted Supporter

!!!

kpatrickwood likes this.
  7. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Good lookin out!

chris likes this.
  8. chris

Trusted Supporter

Venues are starting to announce tour dates on Twitter, this song is up on Spotify apparently as well, wish they'd update the site already. Regardless, new song is incredible

9. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Nice. When I first saw the title my heart dropped a bit because my eyes went straight RIP and I thought it was some kind of elegant farewell tour announcement. Glad that's not the case!

10. chris

Trusted Supporter

Since I'm still internet sleuthing this one instead of doing actual work, found the Portland date (Oct. 7th!) and it looks like they posted the press release in the event description:

11. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Great news, brilliant work. Take the rest of the day off.

12. SteveLikesMusic

The title creeps me out, but I suppose if this was a 'final' album it would have said so in the press release.

13. Horrorca

Trusted

this makes me so happy, thanks guys!!

14. Horrorca

Trusted

"I got together the best New York players I could think of, people whose playing and personalities I was fans of and who came more out of a jazz or avant garde background, and we cut the songs live in one or two takes – trying to keep things as natural and immediate as
    possible"

this sold me the record

15. chris

Trusted Supporter

looks like they updated the site w/ all the tour dates and stuff, all sounds pretty great. This one definitely just shot up my most anticipated list.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  16. chris

Trusted Supporter

aaand one last thing: Pre orders up. Really cool looking pressing

17. SteveLikesMusic

Can you guys post the tour dates here? My work blocks bandsintown widgets.

18. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Can't listen to the new song yet but the writeup and cover art has me hyped.

19. jdr2187

jdr2187

The new song is really good.

20. Mclusky30

I love this band.

21. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Sorry man I would but I'm on a train and it got all fucky when I tried to do it from my phone. I see you're from Buffalo though and it doesn't look to be coming too close. Only NY dates are NYC and Hudson. I'm sure they'll announce more dates soon though!

22. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

New song sounds great.

23. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

love this band. Wish I had the funds to preorder it on vinyl.

24. SteveLikesMusic

I'm probably heading to Pittsburgh, it's about 3.5 hours, not too bad.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  25. Jude Law

You don't fucking scare me! I fuck you!

love this band. their debuts probably my favourite album of theirs.

the new song sounds great.