Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Oh, Sleeper Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by y2jayjk, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Lucas27

Trusted

This is objectively very good. But man. Children of Fire was so next level for the genre that I can't help but feel underwhelmed after an eight year break. It's especially good to hear Micah again but I found myself wanting to go back to CoF and SotM in the middle of listening to this album. That's not a knock on the quality here, I just think I don't love this genre enough anymore to be pumped by something new that doesn't really stand out. It's like any heavy album I really get into these days is automatically in the 4.5-5 star range for me and this is a solid 3.5-4 after a few listens. Not even sure if that makes sense. Ha.

2. It does make sense, and it's close to the feeling I got during my listens. It's competent, well produced, and all, like they're incredible musicians so it's no surprise. But it lacks... something. I wonder if I would've been more impressed if it had been released in like 2013 or slightly later, as they're playing a style that I don't actively seek out these days.

awakeohsleeper and Lucas27 like this.
  3. Lucas27

Trusted

Absolutely the same for me. I’m super into the new Wolves at the Gate and War of Ages tracks because they feel pretty fresh for the genre, but even then I know the albums will need to blow me away to keep my attention simply because this isn’t a genre I listen to like I did six years ago. Maybe it’s age, but I’d rather be listening to something more low key for the most part.

The irony of that is I’m still never not in the mood to listen to The Chariot. Hahaha.

4. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

That’s a little now I felt when the last Norma Jean came out. I’d been craving good heavy music so I immediately latched onto it but it hasn’t aged too well for me. I would’ve preferred this OS release be more melodic so even on first listen I wasn’t hooked, but the vacuum for good metalcore is very real.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  5. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I'm with you on two points here.

I am very cautious about buying any heavy screaming albums now as it's not what I'm usually listening to. The comments so far about this release tell me that I've made the right choice in not paying attention to this record. As much as I love their first two and really like and respect Micah and Shane as people and musicians, I just know that this isn't something that I will listen to more than two or three times. That's ok. If I am going to buy a heavier album it has to promise something different or, as you said, blow me away.

Aaaaannnnd... obviously I also am always in the mood for The Chariot.

coleslawed and Lucas27 like this.
  6. Lucas27

Trusted

As I’ve drifted more from heavy music, One Wing especially has hit me as even more of a masterpiece. Same with ‘68’s Two-Parts Viper although not sure that could be classified as heavy.

awakeohsleeper and coleslawed like this.
  7. Dog with a Blog

I’m not sure how to properly articulate what this album is missing but it might just be feel. I appreciate technical proficiency but at a certain point it can start to feel very stale if they aren’t doing anything interesting beyond that. Children of Fire is imo the perfect mixture of taking their material to the next level from a technical standpoint while still maintaining the other qualities that made Oh Sleeper great. Again, this album isn’t bad but it feels like a computer heard Oh Sleeper and attempted to make an OS album.

Side note: the chorus for Oxygen is the one thing I actually fucking hate on this album. I hated it when it came out a couple years ago and I hate it now. It’s so bad. Which is a shame because the song is otherwise pretty good.

8. Dog with a Blog

Also, no The Chariot slander allowed.

Lucas27 and coleslawed like this.
  9. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Lol oxygen’s chorus is the only part of the album I remember (I love it personally)

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  10. Dog with a Blog

Man, I hate it haha. Feels so cliched for this band

11. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

anyone badmouthing The Chariot can catch these hands

Lucas27, Mason and Dog with a Blog like this.
  12. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

One Wing is a masterpiece. Honestly, it's so creative and in your face and perfect that pretty much any heavy album that has followed it has felt stale in comparison.

coleslawed likes this.
  13. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Me listening to any heavy album since One Wing: WHERE ARE THE WHIPS? WHERE IS THE SPAGHETTI WESTERN SECTION?

Dog with a Blog and coleslawed like this.
  14. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

WHERE IS THE PIANO BALLAD? WHERE IS THE CHAPLIN MONOLOGUE?

15. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

More I listen to this I love it.

Pretty excited to see them next week

16. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Micah's live vocals are done for. It's too bad

17. Yeah sounds like he's having problems with his voice