Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Oculus Rift Company

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset developed and manufactured by Oculus VR, released on 28 March 2016, making it the first to kickstart consumer-targeted virtual reality headsets. - Wikipedia

2. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

IGN review is pretty high, solid 9/10.

3. DeeZee

If Young Metro Don't Trust You... Prestigious

I want one, but I need to update my gaming PC since it doesn't support Mac. I do have the Gear VR, though, and I preordered PSVR.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  4. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

I have an iMac, and don't have an actual gaming PC or Windows PC, so I probably won't get to check this out initially. Am curious about the PSVR though, and how it stacks up.

5. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I'm really interested in VR, but haven't taken the plunge with the only one I could get (PSVR) just yet. I think I like the idea of non-gaming application of it even more than the gaming side, but no way can I afford Oculus or Vive.

You all seen this Virtual Desktop app for Oculus? Looks so god damn cool

6. DeeZee

If Young Metro Don't Trust You... Prestigious

Oculus Theater convinced me that VR is the future. I use it everyday on my Gear VR. It's like having your own personal movie theater.

I did see the desktop application and it looks really cool.

I think PSVR will be the most popular solution because it's the most affordable at the moment.

7. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Yeah, I reckon PSVR will fly off the shelves when it launches. I'll end up getting oneby this time next year, I just wish there was more non-gaming applications for it, though I guess they could come.

I was genuinely pricing up a gaming PC today, Oculus and Vitual Desktop had me so excited.

8. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

I'm going to wait to see some of the first reviews for the PSVR, but I'm very curious to see how well received it is.

9. Bob Loblaw

Wubbalubbadubdub

I am very excited for VR. I preordered one of the Rift bundles that comes with a Rift-ready PC. Those don't ship until end of this month, plus I preordered it late down the line so I may not be getting it until summer. I will definitely post my thoughts on it in this thread once I have it and had some time to explore it. I'm very interested in the PSVR as well, but did not preorder that one. The PSVR probably has the game I'm most interested in though which is the Until Dawn VR game. Even though it's an on rails shooter, it seems like a game that will mimic going on a haunted house ride and I loved the original Until Dawn game.

10. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

I'm excited to see where this goes.

11. Bob Loblaw

Wubbalubbadubdub

My oculus rift came in on Wednesday and after a few days of trying it out, I am loving it. The content is pretty dry, but I did download vorpX which does allow me to play some games not set for the rift on there. One of which is alien isolation and it is incredibly nerve-racking on the rift. I also played eve valkyrie, lucky's tale, and adr1ft. I still need to gain my vr legs as adr1ft did give me some nausea. Eve valyrie is easily my favorite of the games, but I was awed bythe experience lost. It's a very short film, but it made say wow during a particular scene. I truly felt like I was looking at something gigantic. It's very promising and I can't wait to see what the future holds. If anyone has any questions about I'm more than happy to answer what I can. Set up for it was so easy, just be sure to have your firewall and/or antivirus turned off or they might block the software from installing. Only snag that happened to me but the oculus rift support quickly fixed.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  12. Bob Loblaw

Wubbalubbadubdub

Just played Dreadhalls on the oculus rift today and I must say it was super nerve racking. I've seen some youtube walkthrough videos of the game and they don't give it justice. With the rift on, you truly feel like you are walking down a congested hallway. Every sound you hear from growl to whisper to gust of wind sets you on edge. I am someone who loves everything scary and goes to Halloween Horror Nights multiple times a year and dreadhalls filled me with the most anxiety and I loved every minute of it. And the game's graphics aren't even the best, I'd probably equate them to early ps3 games level. I can't wait until the Paranormal Activity VR game, even though I was not a fan of the movie franchise save for number 3, comes out as that one looks absolutely terrifying and it is graphically superior to dreadhalls.