Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

O'Brother Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Kennedy, Mar 8, 2016.

1. CMilliken

Trusted

It does make sense in context but 4 minutes?

DejaMoi likes this.
  2. Deathco_019

Drummer

Have you ever listened to ambient music?

3. JettaPA

Just listened to this album entirely...first impression its really, really good but didn't hit me like Garden Window did. I remember listening to that and I knew halfway in I was hearing greatness. I guess its not fair to compare it to one of the best albums of the current decade.

4. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

People keep comparing this to Garden Window, but we have been listening to Garden Window for 5 years.

CMilliken and stnewton like this.
  5. T.J.

music and baseball.

Yea. Its not fair to compare it to that album.

6. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i think i really like the first half but grow kinda tired of it after song 6 or 7

7. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

I like this better than garden window. I feel like they've really grown into their sound.

stnewton likes this.
  8. Tyler

Regular Supporter

It may be the nostalgia or the fact that "Cleanse Me" might be their best song for me BUT I like Endless Light more and more with each listen.

9. CMilliken

Trusted

I'm the exact opposite. I think the back half is definitely the stronger half.

10. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Only listened once and i'm a new fan but: this was way different than I was expecting. Way more downbeat. Definitely didn't think it would end the way it did. I prefer the back half in general, but Your Move and Deconstruct are two of my favorites. I don't like it as much as GW or TDOD on first listen

11. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

What's TDOD?

Edit: Nvm figured it out

12. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Album is very close to GW in terms of quality def their 2nd best maybe in time it will match it. The last track tho wish it didn't drag on and on the last 2 minutes. Wish they decided to end it differently. Reminds me of the last track of Emery's I'm Only a Man.

13. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Yeah outro is def more like 4 minutes not 2 crazy.

CMilliken likes this.
  14. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Wow I forgot that last track on I'm Only a Man existed. So terrible.

"Realm" is my least favorite track on an otherwise great album, and I agree with you in that I wish they ended it differently.

DejaMoi likes this.
  15. RuckerPark

Someone else is in my place. Supporter

If you don't like it, there's always television...

chhholly123 and awakeohsleeper like this.
  16. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

@RuckerPark love the reference. That song (and album) actually grew on me a lot...

17. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Outro fits so well here.

18. Deathco_019

Drummer

This album is really fucking great. Might be their best yet.

19. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Honestly don't think the outro fits at all. Not even that I dislike it, just think it's such a weird choice for this album

chhholly123 likes this.
  20. Deathco_019

Drummer

The outro doesn't bother me. I'd have to listen to the album again and really focus on its effect in the grand scheme of things, but I enjoyed the outro when I listened to the album this morning.

21. Colin Your Enthusiasm

I love and sometimes I hate the outro if that makes any sense.

22. I, for one, am pro-outro.

23. Kennedy

I get such heavy Deftones vibes from the vocals on "Slow Sin", I absolutely adore it.
    I think "Deconstruct" is one of the best songs the band has ever written, it's still probably my favorite from the record.
    Overall really liking this record still. All O'Brother records (for me) take some time to really sink in because they're so dense. But boy do they hit when they hit.

DejaMoi likes this.
  24. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

This is getting better and better with every listen.

Singing along to Endless Light feels like a bloody vocal exercise with the number of vocal techniques Tanner uses.

I'm struggling to come up with hyperboles about how good the album sounds as well. The technical team have done an exceptional job. This album sounds absolutely incredible when it is played at deafening volumes. It completely engulfs you.

I can't remember another time I felt as angry as I did yesterday when someone called me and my ringtone interrupted the instrumental breakdown at the end of "Time is a Length of a Rope". I almost felt violated that someone had the nerve to take me out of such an intense piece of music! You know that you're listening to a pretty special album when you consider going into airplane mode to prevent anyone from interrupting it again in future...

Iago and DejaMoi like this.
  25. Kennedy

That section of "Your Move" that's all instrumental before the last chorus totally reminds me of "Machines ptII" which is amazing