Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Obamas Sign Book Deal With Penguin Random House

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Penguin Random House has signed a book deal with former President Barack Obama and the former first lady Michelle Obama:

The terms of the agreement were not disclosed, but publishing industry executives with knowledge of the bidding process said it probably stretched well into eight figures. Robert B. Barnett and Deneen C. Howell of Williams & Connolly represented the Obamas.

Penguin Random House acquired world rights to the books, and worldwide sales could be substantial. No decision has been made yet as to which of the company’s major imprints — which include Random House, Doubleday, Alfred A. Knopf and Crown — will publish the books. Mr. Obama’s previous books were published by Crown, which also published Mrs. Obama’s book “American Grown,” about the White House garden.

2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I'm buying a copy

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

For anyone who knows more about the publishing world than I do -- with numbers like that, is Penguin expecting to turn a profit?

4. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I'm expecting mega profit

5. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

yeah i'm sure it's gonna sell like crazy, it'll be a good deal for both of them. personally i don't know how interested i'd be because Obama is so awfully good at diplomatically speaking. i want this shit to be, like, his actual unrestrained thoughts, which it would never be, so i won't be able to buy any of it.