Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Oathbreaker - Rheia (September 30, 2016) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Apr 23, 2016.

1. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

This is one of those rare albums that I feel like I have a different favorite song on with every listen.

The fast drumming over the slow part in Where I Live is so good.

Also, people need to cut it out with the Deafheaven comparisons across the internet. I like Deafheaven, but this feels more varied and instrumentally interesting than just about anything they've put out. I keep seeing people say this is just a female-fronted band biting Deafheaven and I'm like...have you ever listened to another black metal band (or band with any type of blast beats) in your life? Because that's about all they have in common.

2. flask

Trusted Supporter

Needles In Your Skin is definitely the stand out for me. Love when it gets super heavy but she still sings in her clean voice.

3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

yeah this band is pretty different from deafheaven lol, i've never even thought about that comparison, this band leans more in the hardcore realm

Contender likes this.
  4. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Really wish I could make it to their show tonight. Killer lineup... Oathbreaker, Gatecreeper, Iron Reagan and Skeletonwitch

5. cwhit

I'm going to that here solely for Oathbreaker

6. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Are you not a fan of the rest of the bands? Oathbreaker is certainly "different" than the other bands on this tour, but they're all worth sticking around for, imo.

7. sophos34 Oct 6, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 6, 2016)
    sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

its fucking ridiculous in that p4k review they try and draw a comparison to deafheaven by using the label example and not, you know, the fact oathbreaker went with deafheaven's longtime producer for this album.

8. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i agree with the sentiment but deafheaven is still very, very instrumentally varied and interesting. but, i agree that the comparisons are weak. this band is more blackened hardcore to me than blackgaze. like, way more.

coleslawed and cwhit like this.
  9. cwhit

maybe i'll stay but one of my friends whose metal taste i trust only really cares for like one band. we'll see,

10. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Oathbreaker is probably more technical than the other acts, but if you're into thrash or hardcore, you might enjoy the other bands.

11. LifeInDrag

New album is killer, "Second Son of R." hits like a brick.

12. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

this is growing on me

sophos34 likes this.
  13. cwhit

14. flask

Trusted Supporter

One of the best Audiotrees I've ever watched.

15. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Didn't know the drummer played on a single pedal until I watched that Audiotree video. Holy shit.

coleslawed likes this.
  16. flask

Trusted Supporter

Used to play in a great band called Rise & Fall

17. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Nice.

18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yoooo didn't know about this thread.

This album is great. Need to check out their other stuff.

19. cherrywaves

Trusted

I totally forgot about this album and it's honestly so sick

20. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

boy have i been sleeping on this band. holy crap

21. flask

Trusted Supporter

Was pleasantly surprised to find this at my local record shop since they rarely have good hardcore/metal records on vinyl.

22. cwhit

i mean deathwish has pretty big distribution throughout the country

23. flask

Trusted Supporter

Yeah but their hardcore/metal section is like 4 boxes and just the big bands like Terror and for some reason a lot of Five Finger Death Punch.

24. Deathco_019

Drummer

I know I'm late to this, but I finally just got around to listening to this album for my first time today and it whooped my ass. This is incredible

KidLightning likes this.
  25. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

It's pretty damn good, but it's an exhausting listen.