Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by George, Mar 9, 2016.

1. George

Trusted Prestigious

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (Urdu/Punjabi: نصرت فتح علی خان‎; 13 October 1948 – 16 August 1997) was a Pakistani musician, primarily a singer of Qawwali, the devotional music of the Sufis. Considered one of the greatest voices ever recorded, he possessed an extraordinary range of vocal abilities, and could perform at a high level of intensity for several hours. Extending the 600-year old Qawwali tradition of his family, Khan is widely credited with introducing Qawwali music to international audiences. He is popularly known as "Shahenshah-e-Qawwali", meaning "The King of Kings of Qawwali".

[​IMG]

2. George

Trusted Prestigious

I picked Musst Musst for Eva's albums you need to hear thing, and I would highly recommend it.

3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I don't even know how to pronounce this, but anything George recs is worth subbing to.

4. George

Trusted Prestigious

:-)

You can find the whole album on YouTube too!

Here is my rushed write-up for Eva's Albums you need to hear thing;

Nusrat Fatteh Ali Khan was a Pakistani musician who recorded music in the Qawwali style. He recorded this album in 1990 with producer Michael Brook. Brook helped Nusrat shape the songs, moving away from traditional Qawwali pieces, which are usually sprawling 20 minute long pieces, into more digestable five minute songs. Brook also does an incredible job of producing the album, with a dynamic rhtymn section allowing the true beauty of the album to shine - Nusrat's voice.

He posessed an absolutely extraodinary range, a voice so powerful and commanding that there is no hyperbole strong enough to describe it, and absolutely needs to be heard to be believed.

The album is entirely sung in Urdu, so the lack of understandble lyrics allows Nusrat's voice to almost become part of the instrumentation. The album is hypnotic and soulful, with one of the greatest vocal performances ever recorded.

There is no useful comparison I could make to this album, but I would truly recommend to anybody, as it is (probably) unlike anything you would have ever heard before.

5. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Hah I will try and get a listen in this week while I grade.