Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nu Metal Genre • Page 17

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JordanKTM, Apr 19, 2016.

1. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Never forget

swboyd, kyle, Crisp X and 1 other person like this.
  2. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

#welcometolovecore

3. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I unabashedly love Nonpoint.

4. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

this is kind of more alt-rock but this band was popular around the height of nu metal and I saw them open for MANY nu metal bands

5. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  6. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Crisp X and chewbacca110 like this.
  7. riotspray likes this.
  8. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

riotspray likes this.
  9. riotspray likes this.
  10. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

today chocolate starfish and the hot dog flavored water turns 20!

gonna give it a listen when i do some yardwork later.

11. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Take ‘em to the Matthews Bridge!

riotspray and bachna84 like this.
  12. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Crisp X and riotspray like this.
  13. Dying To Live is solid. The backup vocals in the chorus give me glam rock vibes which feels a bit weird coming from them.

14. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Glam rock? I wouldn't go that far...

15. Yeah I know that's a bit of a stretch lol but it doesn't sound like their usual back up vocals stylistically. It reminded me of Corey Taylor's new album hence the glam rock comparison, I guess.

16. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

chewbacca110 likes this.
  17. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Second track is great. First one not so much.

18. Jbent

Trusted

Somehow the ever pissy ~metal community has managed to agree on The Big 4 of thrash and has for years. Although it's been debated and the order has been discussed, it appears to be universally agreed upon, a true rarity among heavy music fans.

Got me thinking, what bands are "The Big 4", Mt. Rushmore, G.O.A.T.'s of nu-metal?

Based off of impact, popularity, overall quality of music & songwriting, live experience and how genre classic albums have held up over time.

Also while considering personal connectivity, innovation, growth and progression through careers, and capabilities of causing a push-pit to open the fucking floor at a moments notice.

I believe the first two slots are inarguable - Korn / Slipknot in some order. While neither is my favorite nu-metal band it is hard to ignore the contributions and legacies each have built from the early days until now.

The third and fourth bands is where this gets interesting (to me at least).

I think System of a Down deserves to be in based off of consistancy and the overall heights reached at their peak as well as many years after, without a new album release for 15 years. They check every box and clearly have separated themselves from their peers.

As a life long devotee to the genre and jnco enthusiast, I'm undecided on that fourth band.

First names that come to mind are Deftones, Marilyn Manson, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park.

I feel you could make a solid case for each, which I would understand but have reservations about.

There seems to be a large drop-off from this point forward. Papa Roach, Mudvayne, Taproot, Sevendust, P.O.D., Soulfly, Incubus and Rob Zombie while important do not feel like consensus choices.

Respect for anyone championing the cause for the less popular yet still successful bands such as Flaw, Ill Nino, Spineshank, Coal Chamber, Static-X.

I am here for any argument about including Otep, Kittie, or Lacuna Coil since women have been grossly underrepresented through and through (also, those bands rule. Spit is so underrated).

Industrial or alt-metal leaning artists such as Nine Inch Nails, Fear Factory, Prodigy, Staind don't fit in my opinion.

The genre produced a fair amount of bands with only a few releases that were still very good. 3rd Strike, Mnemic, Pitchshifter, Skinlab, Nothingface but they just don't feel in that same ballpark.

Welcome any and all opinions, thoughts, takes, lols.

19. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

A conversation that’s been brought up numerous times but the big four are:
    Korn
    Limp Bizkit
    Slipknot
    Linkin Park

Everything else fits under one of these bands umbrellas.

20. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone listen to XIII?

They're new to me, but their new record is giving me strong Korn vibes.

Tomozaurus and Nate_Johnson like this.
  21. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Crisp X and riotspray like this.
  22. It's crazy how close he sounds to Clint, at least until he belts higher notes.

riotspray likes this.
  23. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

Issues turns 21 today! Giving it a listen now :hearteyes:

24. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I just got done listening to Take a Look in the Mirror and Korn III out of curiosity for the first time in full, and liked the former considerably more than I thought I would and while the latter started off somewhat promising it took a huge dive pretty quickly and never fully recovered.

bachna84 likes this.
  25. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious