Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nothing - Tired of Tomorrow (2016) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Apr 21, 2016.

1. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah I remember listening to it for the first time like weeks ago, so I just lost track of the release date

2. Horrorca

Trusted

here we go...

3. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

So what happened this time?

After multiple listens, this album is a notch below GoE, but still solid. Probably won't go see them live when they roll through here next month because they were shit live the last time I saw them.

4. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i still enjoy this and regularly revisit it.

5. Mclusky30

Might be my AOTY so far.

6. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Should probably give this another listen sometime

7. Horrorca

Trusted

A.C.D. is such a fucking jam - also, Yip did a great job with this one, kudos

8. swboyd

Yeah. This might actually be the best sounding Yip album I've listened to yet. It also helps that his fuzzy, cavernous production fits a band with a sound like Nothing perfectly.

9. Horrorca

Trusted

- 2 moral points for listening

+ 3 for "reminding us that is boring"

*you have been awarded a high horse!*

swboyd likes this.
  10. swboyd

Horrible dudes or not, this is a good album. Our Plague is a jam.

11. Horrorca

Trusted

You should have blocked me sooner.

What's interesting to me is that I'm trying to have an interesting and thoughtful conversation (see other posts in this thread) but nobody wants to do it.

It's like all anybody wants to do is show everyone else how "moral" theh are instead of engaging with the topics and the conflicting relationship between art and artist.

If that's trash posting, then call me garbage man.

12. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I have to engage with this topic every single day, all the time, because I am transgender. It is my reality, and it's fucking exhausting, so I hope you'll forgive me for not wanting to engage in yet another "discussion" about transphobia/supporting transphobes. And tbh, I've said all I needed to say in my existing posts here.

Zac Djamoos, Robk and cwhit like this.
  13. swboyd May 26, 2016
    (Last edited: May 26, 2016)
    swboyd

I take the middle line when it comes to Nothing at this point. I'm fully cognizant that when I listen to Tired of Tomorrow I'm listening to contributions from a dude that made some transphobic comments on social media. Further, as a group, they put on one of the worst live sets that I've ever seen last time I saw them (with Torche last year) because they were so inebriated. Regardless, I chose to give this album a listen and pre-order it because Guilty of Everything is one of my favorite albums of the last few years. I've enjoyed it a lot. Probably not Top 10 of the year material, but still pretty solid.

I'm still trying to figure out where I draw the line myself when it comes to the music I listen to and the indiscretions of the people who create them. It's something I'll probably never be able to pinpoint exactly and will probably be decided on a case by case basis for the rest of my life. After the dude from Enabler was outed as a abusive prick, I chose not to support him any more because his final release was entitled "Fail to Feel Safe" and essentially about how he felt persecuted. That was the final straw for me with them. Those who decide not to choose Nothing because of what there band members have done aren't wrong.

I guess what I'm trying to say that it's all subjective.

And this probably is a long winded post about nothing.

Mclusky30 likes this.
  14. Horrorca

Trusted

It must be tiring and frustrating, and you have a right to avoid this conversation. I also have a right to engage some topics if I want to (which in no way means I condone transphobia).

15. Horrorca

Trusted

Thank you.

I perfectly understand where you're coming from. The world is full of subjective, nuanced and grey decisions, it is obvious (at least to me) that it is hard to establish an objective, definite line. Everyone does dumb and mean shit during their lives, artists tend to be more on the spotlight.

I think there's value in wrestling with ideas or positions that contradict your own moral values and understanding where they're coming from. That doesn't always mean you support those ideas.

16. swboyd

Agreed. Life is never black and white to me.

Based off what I've seen Nothing do, they're a group of occasionally crappy but well meaning guys. Individually, it's probably a different case. Nick isn't the main creative force behind the project. He's just a role player. Generally, I don't buy the story that Nick said about a friend of the band making those comments on Whirr's twitter, but I doubt he thought it would become the debacle that transpired. I'd be interested to see if he's actually learned from what happened, but haven't seen any interviews or social media presence from him specifically. My thoughts on Nothing might be a lot different if it was his project like Whirr was.

17. 5Stories

Regular

Well I had no idea there was this controversy surrounding the band but I have to say the album is one of my favourites this year. Especially ACD. It's a beautiful album. Saw them play a record release show in London last week. It was a bit weird, they very clearly weren't enjoying it. But the album's terrific.

18. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Never said you couldn't, but okay.

19. Horrorca

Trusted

I like to think that people can change and learn from their mistakes. People can feel regret and repent from doing crappy stuff.

It's also interesting to me how nobody seems to care about the Palermo incident... It obviously doesn't make the other incident less relevant, but still weird...

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Regardless of where you stand and what nuance you are attempting to add to this conversation, this is a horrible post. You later go on to admit knowing nothing about the topic and the fact that you don't care to know, so remove yourself from the conversation. Your attempt to play devil's advocate or call out faux morality (which can never be done) is incredibly harmful, so please stop it

Zac Djamoos, Robk and TheWater(s) like this.
  21. Horrorca

Trusted

what's harmful about discussing? there are a lot of things I don't completely understand and I think everyone benefits from giving things a thought? where did I say I don't care? do you know how to read?
    are you against free speech and ideas? aren't we here to discuss?

I am seriously confused by your post...

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

You've continuously played the victim, attempting to embarrass or shame others for being "moral". Rather than continuously discussing the "moral police" and mocking those who have issues with the band, shut up and listen to what they have to say. You are in the majority, most people don't care about issues like this, unfortunately.

Direct quote from you:

"I honestly don't care for/know the details on this, I don't know who Nick is..."

Don't really know how else to take that aside from you being willfully ignorant to what's happening and still choosing to speak on it. Your seemingly innocuous "just asking" comments are making a lot of people who have issues with the band uncomfortable. If you truly care about nuance and discussion when it comes to matters like this, listen to the people who have issues instead of attempting to mock them

23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

And, to be clear, I've had multiple discussions on here relating to a lot of these matters to the point of creating a separate thread to discuss accountability in entertainment. I went about it in a way that was not accusatory or obnoxious. Everything you're attempting to do has been done before in a way that doesn't make the person posing the questions seem like a dickhead, so I'd suggest taking a more diplomatic, intelligent approach to serious topics

24. swboyd

Considering he spent two years in prison and has talked openly about his progression since then, I think people are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt a little more.

25. Horrorca

Trusted

people can listen or not to anything, and I respect that

I thought I was clear... I find the contradictions or oppositions between people and their creations a fascinating subject

would like to discuss that without dealing with the specific situations of this band (I do reference them, I admit)

"Your seemingly innocuous "just asking" comments are making a lot of people who have issues with the band uncomfortable."

I feel this is an emotional subject to many people, and I understand it and respect it - it just makes it impossible to have an objective conversation

"You are in the majority, most people don't care about issues like this, unfortunately." And this is you passing judgment... I care, that's why I ask. And I am not afraid of feeling uncomfortable about something or making someone feel uncomfortable about something - I thought that's why people join discussions?