Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nothing - Tired of Tomorrow (2016) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Apr 21, 2016.

1. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

KimmyGibbler likes this.
  2. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

nothingsforeverdude likes this.
  3. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Pumped for this

4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  5. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Still gonna listen to the album dude. Sorry.

KimmyGibbler likes this.
  6. cwhit

you can do what you want, just be sure you're aware you're supporting human garbage

7. Horrorca

Trusted

some topics that will be discussed in this thread:

-art vs. artist
    -people as monoliths (spoiler: no one is a monolith)
    -passing judgement on people we don't know
    -how much is too much
    -mistakes
    -being morally congruent & what does that mean
    -context

all of this is fine, as long as no one feels morally superior

8. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I'd just rather be the dude who doesnt get outraged than the dude who does get outraged. Its a much more peaceful way of life.

KimmyGibbler likes this.
  9. Awksome

Regular

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  10. cwhit

do you believe that it was actually "a friend of the band" that posted those tweets, or nick?

if yes, why couldn't nothing at least make it apparent that he's in the band and that they won't stand for anything else like that ever again?

if no, then literally no apology was given and just excuses were made, and a harmful person was allowed no real consequences.

not to mention nothing separately from nick has done some weird things, such as profit off of gay marriage being legalized (a band of straight white cis-males putting out an gay pride shirt and only donating a small portion of proceeds rather than all of them? fuck that)

11. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

It's much easier to separate art from artist when what that artist does or says doesn't effect you personally. If you're privileged enough to be able to remove yourself from the context of such things and wish to support these kinds of people, and you have a clean conscience in doing so, then by all means do whatever you feel like doing. I am going to continue to inform people about artists like this when the opportunity presents itself, and I'm going to encourage people not to support them as well.

Their statements negatively effect many people, including people like me. They don't exist in a vacuum, they exist in a world where laws are being passed that invalidate and attack the humanity, dignity, and rights of trans people. They exist in a world where trans youth and adults alike are pushed to suicide at an alarming rate because they can't escape the constant harassment and scrutiny of others. They exist in a world where many of the trans people who are determined to carry on are murdered for being who they are. This band is not innocent, they contribute to this culture of violence. They very well may have blood on their hands.

And that's merely speaking on their transphobia, they're guilty of much more than that as that article above spells out. Please don't dismiss my genuine concern as some kind of ploy for moral superiority.

Joel, Penguin, OhTheWater and 4 others like this.
  12. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

This album has been playing non-stop. Now that Mean Jeans has been released I may have to take a break.

13. cherrywaves Apr 22, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 22, 2016)
    cherrywaves

Trusted

Yeah I would've been interested in listening if they kicked Nick out. Now, not so much. Shows a total lack of accountability. Bummer.

14. bedwettingcosmo

not my intention to offend. sorry if i did. i enjoy the record and was not aware of the aforementioned posts.

15. Horrorca

Trusted

just to be clear, I am not dismissing your genuine concern, I truly believe this thread can bring interesting discussion on the topics listed @ nohandstoholdonto

I honestly don't care for/know the details on this, I don't know who Nick is... I just find the policing/outrage attitudes amusing ("you can do what you want, just be sure you're aware you're supporting human garbage")... there's a lot of "human garbage support" going on in the world... is everyone who listens to Burzum or watches a Polanski film supporting human garbage? does that make them human garbage? @ cwhit

honest question: should we boycott the art of artists who engage in "human garbage" actions? if so, what activities are justifiable and which aren't? how much is too much? if they apologize, does it change things? isn't it possible that we may come to terms with this and engage it instead? if a lawyer/carpenter/whatevs beats his wife, then does that invalidate his legal work/furniture? does he lose his right to live off of his work?

again, this is not a personal attack, I'm just wondering...

oldjersey likes this.
  16. bedwettingcosmo

the title track is one of the more haunting, affecting tracks ive heard this year

17. flask

Trusted Supporter

I loooooove the vocals on The Dead Are Dumb.

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  18. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I actually just discovered this band and thought I'd see if there was a post about them. I'm disappointed to see they are associated with Whirr. But for my own curiosity, as I was actually planning on purchasing this album, how exactly is Nothing associated with Nick / Whirr? The link in the second post which seems to might explain things doesn't work for me.

19. cwhit

Nick plays in the band.

20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I enjoyed this album, and I don't know a whole lot about the controversy surrounding some of the guys in the band but I think it's ok to like and listen to music made by shitty dudes. You know, drawing your own line and all that.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  21. waveform

Album is great. Nick is shitty.

22. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

That's a real bummer. I really appreciate the heads up though! Money I have to spend on another album, hah.

23. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

24. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Wait is this just now coming out? Haha

25. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

It leaked like a month ago. Official release date is May 13th.