Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nothing - Dance on the Black Top (August 24, 2018) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by strangeterrain, Jun 5, 2018.

1. strangeterrain

Regular

Dance on the Blacktop is out August 24, 2018, on Relapse Records.

[​IMG]

"NOTHING’s third full-length recording, Dance On The Blacktop, is the next chapter in the band’s tumultuous story and like its predecessors, pulls from all corners of life with a focus on the bleak and despairing. Captured by renowned producer John Agnello (Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., Kurt Vile) at Dreamland Studio in Woodstock, NY, Dance On The Blacktop is a stirring collection of songs accentuating the band’s love for all sounds 90s from both sides of the pond; from alternative rock and shoegaze to the realms of pop and post-punk. Across the course of 45 minutes, NOTHING weave together nine tales of heightened confusion, anxiety, paranoia, depression and chronic pain juxtaposed against angelic yet apocalyptic, reverberating walls of shimmering sound. Dance On The Black Top is a fervent, emotional tour-de-force, the sound of a band at the peak of their individuality."

Track List:
    1. Zero Day
    2. Blue Line Baby
    3. You Wind Me Up
    4. Plastic Migraine
    5. Us/We/Are
    6. Hail on Palace Pier
    7. I Hate the Flowers
    8. The Carpenter's Son
    9. (HOPE) Is Just Another Word with a Hole in It

Preorder: Coming August 24th on CD/LP/DLX. 2XLP/CS/Digital

Stereogum interview by Zoe Camp: Nothing Have Something To Live For

First single, "Zero Day":

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

fuck this band for allowing the transphobic nick bassett to stay in the band and not saying anything about it

3. Glad Aaron is in this band now but I really wish they would’ve said something about Nick.

Production on this sounds..weird? Was this recorded by Will?

Oh. No it wasn’t. I see that now

sean_rugy likes this.
  4. cherrywaves

Trusted

I don't particularly like this song.

5. flask

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

6. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

jeez, production sounds wack af on this

slowheart likes this.
  7. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

the discourse in this thread is going to be productive.

8. cwhit

i made my one post unless people start saying it doesn't matter. i expect this thread continue (sadly) without that much of that

dadbolt likes this.
  9. flask

Trusted Supporter

Yeah the production does leave a lot to be desired.

10. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

fwiw it doesn’t seem like nick is in the band anymore?

also that song sucks. never been too fussed about these guys, to the point where the repeated acclaim has always surprised me

11. cwhit

that is correct, nick is not. but that doesn't necessarily excuse the band for sheltering him and avoiding talking about the horrible things he did

dadbolt likes this.
  12. Cody

that always puts my brain in such a weird spot. like what if they parted ways w him bc of that. what if they don’t want to talk about it bc it’s like a super stressful and traumatic situation.

idk I drafted something about how it’s weird they said nothing, bc it def is, but at the end of the day, I don’t know what they or any band in a similar spot could do that would leave a good taste in my mouth when speculating like this almost makes me feel as yucky

Tough shit

coleslawed and cwhit like this.
  13. Cody Jun 5, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 5, 2018)
    Cody

to claim three strangers have sheltered another stranger makes me feel really uncomfortable

Not that you’re wrong Casey. Just no way of knowing and what’s even for us to know

14. Culture Abuse, Smut, Big Bite and Swirlies are the bands on their fall tour.

15. from: skulls

Regular

song sounds like a bad Placebo b-side which, I guess is an improvement?

16. great interview by Zoe

sean_rugy likes this.
  17. cwhit

i do have a major problem when talking about nick all she says is he's known for his "abrasive online persona" which uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

18. swboyd

To be fair, Nothing did address this somewhat in an interview they did back with Noisey in 2015:

Look at Danger and Laugh Your Head Off: Nothing on the New LP and the Unluckiest Six Months Ever

"Another recent incident has to do with Whirr, which features your bassist Nick Bassett. Obviously Nick has been with you for a while, and Whirr recently had that issue with Twitter.

Nick was, and has been, dealing with the recent passing of his mother, one of the only family members that he was still in contact with. Their Facebook and Twitter accounts have always been a trolling thing for the band in total. While Nick was definitely involved with trolling, and I told him he should watch out for that, he had nothing to do with that specific incident. Anyone who knows me or some of the actions we’ve taken in the name of equality and tolerance in general, they know that I would have nothing to do with anyone like that. All of our signs of solidarity, with merch or the label or whatever it was, all of that happened before any of this Whirr shit."

Not that it's a good response at all since they've never directly disavowed his actions and their LGBTQ lip service has always come off as a bit hokey to me...but I digress.

cwhit likes this.
  19. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Man, that cover is great -- makes me feel so uneasy.

20. adeadgod Jun 5, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 6, 2018)
    adeadgod

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

band just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. selling some lgbt related merch doesn’t save you. if anything, it makes the situation and their disregard of talking on the subject all the more questionable.

Contender likes this.
  21. Horrorca

Trusted

jesu, Prurient and Nothing sharing a stage was one of the sickest live things I’ve seen

simply insane

this song is ok

22. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

I don’t mind the production here - Tired of Tomorrow was a bit flat - but the vocal melodies are way off.

Interesting that this is dropping the same day as the Jesus Piece LP.

23. 0rb

is this a dream? ✫・゜

This album is going to suck.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  24. swboyd

^I never try to make any prognostications about an album based on one song, especially one that seems to be trying to combine GOE and TOT. The two dudes in the band just aren't great singers, and it was a lot less noticeable on their earlier material when everything was saturated in reverb.

For the record, I dig the sound other than the vox. The guitars sounds better here to me than they did on Tired of Tomorrow.

25. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Can't believe the drop in quality from Tired of Tomorrow to this

That song is bad