Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Not Everything Is an Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Benjamin Mayo writes about one of the bigger issues I have with Apple Music’s categorization of albums:

What a human would think of as an artist’s albums, and what Apple Music lists, are completely different. EPs, singles, specials, deluxe, originals are all shoehorned under one name ‘Albums’. There is no way to filter these out. This really makes finding what you want hard. When you know what you want to find, all this backwardly organised catalogue gets in your way.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard of a new artist, gone to their page to listen to their latest album, clicked the first “album” artwork I saw, and then had to click back once I realize it’s just a single release. This seems like a really simple fix in the interface.

2. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

Thankfully Spotify does a slightly better job of this. Seems like a no-brainer.

3. A M E N

scottlechowicz, teebs41 and Raku like this.
  4. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

One thing I miss after switching from Spotify to AM. I hope this can be fixed in the near future.

teebs41 and skogsraet like this.
  5. heymattrick

Sending my love

I have a lot of custom modifications to some of my library, and Apple Music does randomly switch certain things back. The most frustrating for me is when a 1st single off an upcoming album is released, Apple Music (and iTunes for that matter) downloads the songs another time. I like having accurate play counts, and not duplicates, so I’ll usually rename the single version to be apart of the album, and delete the new download. Apple Music sometimes randomly changes these back to the “single” album

teebs41 likes this.
  6. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Has anyone had an issue with Apple Music where this happens? I'll use Blink 182 as an example.

I add Untitled, Enema Of The State, Take Off Your Pants and Jacket. I go to listen to Untitled a few days later and "Feeling This" "I Miss You" "Down" and "Always" are missing
    I click on Enema "What's My Age Again?" "All The Small Things" "Adams Song" are missing
    I click on TOYPAJ "First Date" "The Rock Show "Stay Together" are missing

I click back to Blink 182 on my music library and it's AUTO-ADDED their greatest hits and moved all songs on that record form the actual album to the greatest hits. I'm not sure what timeframe it does this in, but it's happened to me with multiple artists that have greatest hits.

DisloyalOrder and teebs41 like this.
  7. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Personally, I don’t like that multiple artists get grouped together when they have the same name and I wind up having to sort through albums I don’t recognize by a different artist than what I intended to look up.

8. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

This is a huge issue with bigger hip hop artists. Go try to find one of Kendrick’s older albums. Almost impossible

scottlechowicz and CAC3 like this.
  9. GageStillAlive

Still Alive Supply Co. Supporter

I wish I had a way to separate music and the stand up albums I have. I hate scrolling through my library and seeing them all jumbled together.

Raku likes this.
  10. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Yeah, I just wish spotify would add a section for "EPs". They move all the EPs to "Singles", which is better than albums but still not really accurate.

11. CAC3

Dog

Agreed, this drives me crazy. Especially with hip-hop artists.

12. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Reading through these comments makes me really happy I use Spotify.

Guilherme Brandao likes this.
  13. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

YES THIS IS THE WORST

Anthony Brooks and Larry David like this.
  14. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This happened with Citizen. Pissed me off no end.

On the main topic, I switched to Spotify and it works better but it's still not perfect. You'd think they would have an "EP" section too?

15. somethingwitty

Trusted

Spotify has such a better UI. If Apple Music was called, Samsung Music or LG Music, they would have 1/4th the subscribers.

Spotify is an around better experience.

16. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

Have basically the same issue with Google Play Music.

I also have an issue with music uploads that makes it incredibly frustrating. Say I own a copy of Church Mouth by Portugal. The Man. If I have that upload, and I want to go play the album, it will play both my uploaded copy and the online copy as one playlist, with songs back to back. I'll have to go in and edit the playlist to remove half of the songs. Even worse is when I have a live set uploaded, GPM will grab those tracks sometimes and throw them into the playlist of the album, making it so I have to verify which version is which before I delete them.

17. noKings

Regular

Still don't get why Apple is overtaking Spotify...

18. This can be an annoyance but I 100% prefer Apple Music to Spotify in every other way. It streamlined the process of, well, streaming on most of my devices. I wouldn't go back to another platform.

David Parke and carrytheweird like this.
  19. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

This. While I do have my issue that I posted above, I much prefer the interface, look, and efficiency of Apple Music on my Apple products.

David Parke likes this.
  20. *raises hand*
    Me too, y’all.

carrytheweird likes this.