Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Northstar Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 8, 2016.

1. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I love Pollyanna so much I always forget it in my all time lists too

2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

yeah Pollyanna is one of those underappreciated scene gems, like The Ugly Organ or Worship & Tribute.

teebs41 likes this.
  3. CoffeeEyes17

where you at @sophos34 lets gush about this damn album

teebs41 and sophos34 like this.
  4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Pollyanna is the best pop punk album of all time

5. CoffeeEyes17

whoa whoa whoa lets slow it down here.

youre right

CAC3, teebs41 and sophos34 like this.
  6. CoffeeEyes17

is Pollyanna pop punk? i considered it more emo or hell even indie rock than anything.

7. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

It's p pop punk. Some emo in there. Maybe pop rock. Either way it's a scene classic

8. CoffeeEyes17

Commit This To Memory>Pollyanna

but yeah Pollyanna is a classic and I just listened to it its pretty flawless. Nick had a real good tight grip on his songwriting.

9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I don't like mcs :/

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  10. CoffeeEyes17

listen, let me on your podcast so i can fight with you about this pls.

sophos34 likes this.
  11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Ohhh that'll be fun

teebs41 and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  12. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I love W&T and anything Northstar, so I guess I need to check out Cursive. Is Ugly Organ the best place to start? Is the term "ugly organ" a synonym for penis?

13. CoffeeEyes17

hmu when you want a special guest id love to chat about The 1975 with you and Brandon

14. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

You move me like I've got new feet

KidLightning and Zac Djamoos like this.
  15. CoffeeEyes17

yeah TUO is a great place to start. its a goth influenced post hardcore kind of album. its also a concept album, detailing the life and death of The Ugly Organist, the ugly organ in question being both the organ instrument he plays and his penis which symbolically shows him as both an artist that works too hard and a human that feels too much.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  16. CoffeeEyes17

also if you enjoy Pinkerton youll probably love The Ugly Organ

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  17. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

It's crazy how well this album has aged. It doesn't feel stale or stuck in a certain time period. And Nick Torres is one of the most underappreciated lyricists.

18. Jake Z

Regular

Never heard it called pop punk, but what an album. Rocket City is still my fav song off that.

KidLightning and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  19. SayHello

Regular

If this band reunited would it be successful / how big of crowds would they draw?

20. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm not sure how well it would do. I think in their mind they never went away just changed their name to cassino which is a very difficult band to see live

21. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Forget about it! He's too busy working on material for Cassino hah.

Sounds Of Salvation
    is one of my all-time favorite records. Incredible.

teebs41, sophos34 and trevorshmevor like this.
  22. SayHello

Regular

What is this Cassino you speak of and how can I hear some music?

23. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

24. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

It's difficult to say exactly how well it would do, but I would guess it to be not very successful. They never got the push they needed from Triple Crown bc they were still an opening band growing their base. A reunion doesn't bring back a huge base. The first tour for Pollyanna they played second on a bill that went (Say Anything, Northstar, Straylight Run, & Hot Rod Circuit), and then did various support tours after and broke up. Other bands on Triple Crown like Hit The Lights and others were getting more of their resources from a marketing perspective.

From a sound standpoint, I think there is a good group of indie/rock/pop/punk bands going that they could do pretty well if they were to catch on. There was just never a big following for Northstar in a macro sense. There is a good group from AP/Chorus, but it's hardly a big demand. I do think Northstar's past material sounds free of the era it was made. It's not like listening to some of the FOB or Sense Fail stuff where it was feels stuck in a certain point in time. Pollyanna could come out now, and if marketed by the right label kids and young adults could really connect with it.

SayHello likes this.
  25. so re-release Pollyanna and make it special (and get all the track names right on the back ;))