Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Northlane - Obsidian (April 1, 2022)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by indecipherable, Nov 11, 2021.

1. indecipherable

levitate levitate levitate levitate Prestigious

Imgur Image

01. Clarity
    02. Clockwork
    03. Echo Chamber
    04. Carbonized
    05. Abomination
    06. Plenty
    07. Is this a Test?
    08. Xen
    09. Cypher
    10. Nova
    11. Inamorata
    12. Obsidian
    13. Dark Solitaire

beachdude likes this.
  2. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Singles have been awesome, I'm totally here for this.

indecipherable likes this.
  3. indecipherable

beachdude likes this.
  4. I loved Clockwork and this single is even more successful at merging their signature sounds with outside influences. I love how Echo Chamber has the backbone of a trance song, and in that sense wouldn't sound out of place on BT's poppier albums, yet it retains enough of their metalcore elements to make the band recognizable and... this mix works so well. I can't think of another band that has pulled this off yet. I could namedrop Enter Shikari, except their electronic background is much more rooted in the UK music scene though.

Mary V and beachdude like this.
  5. Ellamamama

This is your life, are you who you want to be?

Man its so cool seeing this band evolve with the times. 2/2 for me. APRIL THOUGH?!

beachdude likes this.
  6. tvck

Trusted

beachdude likes this.
  7. tvck

Trusted

new track is a solid mix of their different eras

8. hypotc

Waggy

Here's a compilation of all teasers/stories they've put on social media with snippets from the record. Some track names may be wrong, but it sounds pretty awesome imo!

Crisp X and beachdude like this.
  9. tvck

Trusted

10. tvck

Trusted

I'm here for Matrixcore

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  11. Love it, more on the groovier side. It might be random but when that main riff gets glitchy, I can't help but be reminded of this oldie.

12. tvck

Trusted

[​IMG]

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

That's a dope tour

14. tvck

Trusted

15. This is really solid. I gotta admit, though - Marcus’ clean vocals shine so much more for me in comparison to his screams. His singing genuinely gives me goosebumps and songs like “Nova” are stunning

16. indecipherable

beachdude, azzy01 and Crisp X like this.
  17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

this feels very... busy? Like it feels like some of the ideas are a little over baked.

Crisp X and Mary V like this.
  18. Diving in... and what a fantastic opener. For some reason, it has a closer feel so it's an interesting way to start the album.

19. Crisp X Apr 22, 2022
    (Last edited: Apr 22, 2022)
    This is solid. I'm a bit surprised to find out this is more homogenous than Alien. I expected them to get much weirder with the electronic and industrial elements. Instead, it often sounds like they're trying to do everything at once ie. get more experimental while not straying too far from their core sound. It makes the results a bit less diverse and tamer than I thought. I end up feeling like they could've gone more all in, at least to help each song feel distinct from each others, as it pretty much stays in one lane bar a couple moments. Their recent interviews made me expect more of a departure, so maybe that's my fault for not managing my expectations.

That reads more negative for an album that I like than I intended, by the way! The path they've been on since the arrival of Marcus has been such an interesting one. His vocal performance is incredible once again, especially the cleans (and I wish there were more of them). Their growth into one of the most unique sounding metal bands remains a joy to witness.

Out of the unheard songs, Xen and Nova are early favorites. The former is pretty much one of their best attempts at blending all of their components, hearing it for the first time felt like a complete journey. The latter is actually a direction I want them to explore more in the future, aka more cleans in more almost strictly electronic sounding songs.

edit: Adding Is This A Test? to the list of standouts. This makes me nostalgic in how much it sounds like Boom Boom Satellites, a Japanese band who blended electronic music and rock exactly like this at times.

Mary V likes this.
  20. FloatThroughMe

Regular Supporter

I'm all about this album, was worth the wait.

beachdude likes this.
  21. drummerAVA

Trusted

I feel like this album is their “A Thousand Suns…”

Ellamamama, coleslawed and beachdude like this.
  22. indecipherable

Dig the 90s triphop on Nova

beachdude and Crisp X like this.
  23. atlas

Trusted

Every album cycle I think I'm done with these guys and every album cycle they wind up impressing me somehow. Occasional unfortunate butt-rocky missteps (Carbonized) but when they fully leverage the dance and trip hop influences in the second half they're hitting on a wavelength that really no other band is on imo. Is This A Test through Nova is the best stretch of their career

beachdude likes this.
  24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I honestly feel like a lot of this leans into butt rock

onionbubs likes this.
  25. Gooddayz

always and forever

The opener gave me chills hot damn. After giving this a full listen I'm loving it, but I kinda wish Nova was the closer. The next three tracks were good, but Nova would have been perfect to end this on.