Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Northlane - Alien (Aug. 2nd, 2019) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by drummerAVA, Jul 21, 2019.

1. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

This tour was one of my favorites of the year. The entire lineup was just so good.

drummerAVA likes this.
  2. drummerAVA

Trusted

Man, the breakdown of Freefall hit me hard earlier, starting at 2:42... and that DROP...

3. drummerAVA

Trusted

Northlane on Triple J!

4. Gooddayz

always and forever

Haven't gotten into Northlane much before, but this album is fantastic! Definitely my favorite metalcore release this year alongside Norma Jean.

5. drummerAVA

Trusted

New 4D video... One of my favorite songs of the year. I remember feeling pretty awestruck by the emotion in the performance when I saw them on tour, particularly in the closing parts of this song... Just like, "...damn, that was good."

6. Northerly

This album is incredible. I cannot stop listening to it. It’s excruciatingly personal but that elevates what already sounds phenomenal to a whole other level. Marcus Bridge and the band could not have portrayed his story any better. It’s brutal, it’s ferocious and sonically amazing. I can only hope it is not too harrowing and exhausting playing these songs live and reliving the pain. Getting all the emotion of an incredibly difficult and confronting childhood out and telling his story will hopefully prove cathartic for Marcus instead. Many children go through all sorts of trauma that is often never spoken about nor addressed and I’m sure the power in these songs will help give them a voice.
    He willed himself to endure and survive and that gives hope to us all.

drummerAVA and beachdude like this.
  7. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Didn’t even realize there was a thread for this album on here... one of my favorites of the year for sure! They’re finally hitting their full stride with Marcus I think.

8. Northerly

Yep - Sleepless is amazing. It's beautiful despite the deeply sad and heart-wrenching topic. The pain and power in those high notes "...I never left it all behind" - what a crescendo.

9. drummerAVA

Trusted

...all while tastefully incorporating a freaking SAXOPHONE into the mix... not something I necessarily saw coming lol.

10. Northerly

Yep - plenty of surprises but they backed their artistry and their courage has paid off.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  11. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I need to try to listen to this album again. It was cool but nothing really grabbed me

12. Northerly

Hopefully it grabs you next rotation!

13. drummerAVA

Trusted

Obligatory Nic Pettersen appreciation post... dude's style and playing is just so different and rad... Unique in every sense. Literal drum wizard. Love the way he sets up his kit too...

The little periodic flourishes of ghost notes in the breakdown of Talking Heads, like at 3:05, are so freaking tasty, and Vultures? I still have no idea what's even going on with it lol... I find that most of his drum tracks (thinking back to stuff like Quantum Flux), once you understand the structural nuances, and the count/placement of every ghost note, you kind of find your place in the groove, and the drum track starts to make a lot more sense and feels more and more natural...

But some bits of Vultures just DO. NOT. COMPUTE. :crylaugh:

14. tvck

Trusted

For some reason this album did not come across my radar at all last year and holy shit. This would've easily been my most listened to on Spotify.

15. drummerAVA

Trusted

BLOCK. OUT. THE. SUN.....

beachdude likes this.
  16. drummerAVA

Trusted

New documentary giving some insight into the last couple years of the band and what went into the creation of Alien... Glad to see that it was their most successful release yet, along with all the acclaim, even through all the adversity. Well deserved.

Gooddayz likes this.
  17. tvck

Trusted

This definitely has been my favorite metal release in some time. I think it'll overtake All Hail for me from the last couple of years. Crazy all of the stuff they went through to make this album. Definitely gives some different perspective while listening to it now.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  18. drummerAVA

Trusted

Triple J just played a new track left over from the Alien sessions, “Enemy of the Night.” Releasing officially later this week...

19. tvck

Trusted

Gooddayz likes this.
  20. tvck

Trusted

this song is a banger

21. Gooddayz

always and forever

The sound they got going with Alien is just so good. Gimme all the b-sides

drummerAVA likes this.
  22. drummerAVA

Trusted

That subtle, electro-tinged snare sound they have on most of the Alien tracks is so rad... new song is cool, not blown away, but I’m very excited to hear the instrumentals on the Deluxe album.

I’m curious to see where they go from here... If they could bring back some of the spacious elements of Node back into their sound, some of the more “compositional” drumming I’ll call it (like from Singularity and Node), and work the electronics in more like Alien, and blend it all together, that could be an absolutely killer sound.

23. tvck

Trusted

God damn

drummerAVA and K0ta like this.
  24. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

God damn. Those videos are great. Just wanna get my ass kicked in a pit again. I miss live music so much

drummerAVA likes this.
  25. drummerAVA

Trusted

Really wish they were selling this as a DVD/digital package... to put all the effort into a set like this and then stream it once is kinda whack.