Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Norma Jean Band • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, May 29, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Never got a chance to see them live, but their shows look insane.

2. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

O God
    Bless the Martyr
    Wrongdoers
    Redeemer
    Polar Similar
    Anti-Mother
    Meridional

3. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

They used to be, just depends now. I saw them on the Wrongdoers tour and they played to maybe 40 people who just kind of hung out with as little bit of movement. Some of their shows still look pretty busy from what I've seen on Youtube.

4. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

I honestly think Polar Similar is the greatest thing this band has put out. It's an incredible record.

That said, if you pump O' God loud enough it gets a little harder to pick a favorite.

coleslawed and js977 like this.
  5. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

That's crazy - I had no idea there would be so few people at a Norma Jean show. I've only seen them once in the UK but it was packed.

Edit: having said that, I think they were supporting Atreyu so that might have been why it was packed. It was a longer ago than I realised, haha! He Is Legend opened up though and that was fantastic.

6. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I saw them a few months before PS came out and it was at a small bar, which was disappointing off the bat. But while there was more than 40, most of the people were pretty spread out and there was just a small crowd at the front really into the show.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  7. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Man, I just assumed they were still doing pretty well, particularly because the new albums were well received. Very interesting!

8. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

at that point i think only 100000 suns had come out and i don't think it was well publicized so hopefully it wasn't representative. i feel like there's a need for good heavy music and it blows my mind NJ aren't filling it; they should be up there with ETID in popularity.

9. subplotofcrows

Norma Jean still does pretty well overall. They get good press, release good records and still sell a good amount of albums. I think there's a couple factors to the outcome of shows, one being that the crowd that used to frequent NJ shows back in the early through mid-2000's has grown up and doesn't go to many shows at all anymore. ETID was in the same shape, but I think were able to rebuild themselves on top of Warped Tour, bigger shows, and "trendy" tours where they got more exposure. I really wish ETID and NJ would tour again.

10. Gooddayz

always and forever

That's how it was for me when I saw them spring of last year. He Is Legend opened for them and their were more people into them than NJ. Once they got off the crowd dispersed, I was kinda shocked.

beachdude42, awakeohsleeper and js977 like this.
  11. disambigujason Nov 1, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 1, 2017)
    disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

i guess then i just wonder why younger crowds, or even older people within our scene who "grew out of" heavier music but may still go to shows don't take to NJ like they do to ETID. i enjoy ETID but i think NJ are way more dynamic and corey's got one of the scene's best screams.

12. airik625

“And There Will Be A Swarm Of Hornets” is a top 5 Norma Jean track for me.

js977 likes this.
  13. subplotofcrows

It's also the best song on the Anti-Mother.

airik625 likes this.
  14. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Off the top of my head:

Meridional > Anti Mother > Redeemer > Wrongdoers > Polar Similar > O God > Bless the Martyr

15. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Robots and Murphy are my top 2 on antimother. After that it gets messy. Chemist, death, surrender, discipline, and hornets make up an amorphous second tier.

16. Gooddayz

always and forever

I've notice people who love Meridional also love Anti Mother. I wonder why that's not the case for me since I do like their melodic side.

js977 likes this.
  17. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Anti mother was the first I bought and listened to in its entirety and at that point I wasn’t too into less-melodic heavy music yet so that was a big draw for me. I actually didn’t listen to meridional too much after it came out either and only appreciated how melodic it was later on

18. airik625

Been listening to Fear Is The Driving Force quite a bit lately. Would love to hear a full length from that project.

19. subplotofcrows

I listened to Meridional the other day and I find it more enjoyable than I use to. It's what the Anti-Mother should have been, but my obsession with The Anti-Mother when it came out means I have a soft spot for it.

Gooddayz, js977 and awakeohsleeper like this.
  20. airik625

21. subplotofcrows

I’ll be there

22. atlas

Trusted

Will see y'all in Chicago in the pit

23. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Would love this in the UK. When was the last time they visited? Feels like ages but I might have missed a tour or something.

24. atlas

Trusted

they were there in May-June '16

25. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yes, I think I remember that now. It was when I got married which is why I think I missed it.