Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Norma Jean Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, May 29, 2016.

1. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I like The Prestaliis more than Polar Similar.

truelovewaits likes this.
  2. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

KidLightning likes this.
  3. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

Loving that Hundred Suns album. It's like Norma Jean if all of their songs sounded like Fallen From The Sky. Seeing them in Chicago on Friday.

4. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I really like it. There are a couple songs I don't care for too much, but overall it's a nice change of pace.

5. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

Hundred Suns is super good. Not sure if I like it more or less than Polar Similar. I'm just not a huge fan of the opener and closer on the Prestallis.

6. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I've been skipping the opener too.

Still a huge fan of Polar Similar. That and Wrongdoers are my go-to NJ records.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  7. The Mysterious

Yes...but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts

Hundred Suns = noice. Infinite Winter sounds like Cory covering a Demon Hunter power ballad, and has been in constant rotation. Also, anyone think the singles' mixing sounds different on the album?

8. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Been listening to ShaunLuu a lot recently. It was a bonus track on the O'God deluxe version and ended up being one of my favourites. I liked that on the CD version they didn't tack on the bonus track at the end but that they added it to the middle of the album. Not many bands revise a tracklist in that kind of way.

9. airik625

I just never have been able to get into O’God. I love every other record they’ve released so I normally just ignore that album.

10. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

To be honest, I've drifted away from Norma Jean over the years but I have fond memories of the first three albums. Never understood why O'God was maligned as much as it was but then Redeemer seemed to be more well received. I had initially thought it was just the impact of a different vocalist but then Redeemer somehow redeemed them (excuse the pun!) even though it sounded quite similar to me. Any thoughts on why you don't like it compared to Redeemer?

11. DesolateEarth

Birb

Polar Similar still really holds up for me.

12. airik625

I don’t know. I feel when they switched lead vocalists, they tried to become something they weren’t. The instrumentation on O’God is alright, but I think Corey Brendan tried to do too much in order to put his stamp on the band. Redeemer was raw, kick you in the teeth, straight forward and easily digested. Redeemer also had just enough melodic, softer parts that seemed to work perfectly. Then they really stepped their game up with the ensuing pair of albums that are peak, quintessential NJ records. Perfect blend of chaos and mellowed tones.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  13. Gooddayz

always and forever

I agree. The way Corey sounds on O'God I've never been able to enjoy, by far my least favorite. He really came to his own on Redeemer though.

I've never heard this song. The moments where he sorta sings reminded me of Redeemer. The song wasn't bad haha

trevorshmevor and awakeohsleeper like this.
  14. Bane

The spiciest meme

I definitely think it was him trying to replicate more than do his own thing but I still really enjoy O'God

15. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

All of O’God and the vocals sound like and were meant to sound like Botch. Redeemer is my favorite. Polar Similar still gets some listens from me but Hundred Suns have been butting in.

airik625 likes this.
  16. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I see what you're saying. All I remember is a video before the album came out with Corey saying he tried three different types of screaming/singing for the album - I never had a problem with that even though it was different to Scogin but I can see why people would think he was trying to hard.

I think Redeemer might be my favourite as well.

17. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

O'Brother was my introduction to them, so I have a soft spot for it. But Redeemer really hit me hard.

Meridional gets the most play from me now to be honest. Such a great album.

18. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Aside from blueprints I didn’t really get into NJ until anti-mother and each album after needed time to grow on me. Polar similar was the first since AM that I loved immediately, tho I have cooled on it a bit.

I really wish this NJ/underoath type metal core was still big and prolific, it’s still one of my favorite genres.

19. airik625

admittedly, I have also cooled on Polar Similar quite a bit.

20. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I had totally forgotten about Anti-Mother. That is probably my least favourite - just never got into it.

coleslawed likes this.
  21. airik625

The anti-mother might be my favorite. That Chino Moreno feature is so great.

js977 likes this.
  22. Gooddayz

always and forever

Anti
    NJ/Underoath tour? Oh man that would be a dream.

23. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I just wouldn’t survive it

24. Gooddayz

always and forever

But you'll die tryin' though

js977 likes this.
  25. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Went to a couple UO/NJ shows. They were incredible.

I need to go on a NJ tear and listen. It’s been a minute.

Gooddayz likes this.