Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Norma Jean Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, May 29, 2016.

1. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

New song is incredible. Always love what these guys put out, even Anti-Mother, which doesn't seem to be a fan favorite.

2. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Anti-Mother is one of my favorites. So good. O'God The Aftermath is the only album I don't like/listen to.

Need to slow down on listening to 1,000,000 Watts.

inwaves likes this.
  3. inwaves

Yeah, I never listen to O God. Or Bless the Martyr for that matter, which might be blasphemous. Redeemer onwards is how I like my NJ.

4. airik625

I enjoy Bless The Martyr quite a bit actually. Still listen to it regularly too.

Wrongdoers is awesome, but I don't seem to like it as much as a bunch of other people.

5. inwaves

I haven't given Wrongdoers enough listens, honestly. I'm sure to be listening to it a lot during the lead up to the new album, though.

6. airik625

Exactly. I most definitely will be too.

Wish they put it up on Apple Music. it's their only album not on there.

7. The Mysterious

Yes...but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts

This band is the musical epitome of aging with grace. Like Jeff Goldblum.

inwaves likes this.
  8. Bane

The spiciest meme

I can't imagine disliking any of their albums to be honest, each one brings great stuff. On the flipside, I'm not sure what my favorite of theirs is. I got though periods where one album starts standing out more to me but then I find another to stand out as well haha

9. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

This new song is perfect.

inwaves likes this.
  10. airik625

It really is. Love the dynamics throughout. Corey's vocals are sounding sharp as ever. Could be my most anticipated for the rest of the year. Of albums that have been announced anyhow.

11. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

They played 1,000,000 Watts live when I saw them the athe other week and it killed. Good to see it sounding just as great on the recorded version.

12. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

New song is interesting! I like it.

13. Been listening to Wrongdoers over the past few days because it never clicked with me when it came out and wanted to give it another shot. Holy hell man, what an album. My favorite from them is Meridional, so maybe I was just looking for a part 2 of that and was disappointed. Glad to finally jump on board with it though.

New song is great, this is probably my most anticipated heavy record for the year.

14. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Yea love the new song. I loved everything up to meridional, which only a few tracks caught me. Didn't enjoy the last one too much, but this song sounds like their are back. I'll end up giving wrongdoers another spin soon.

15. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Same here my man.

inwaves likes this.
  16. airik625

I've been getting into Wrongdoers recently too. Just like @trevorshmevor it never clicked with me at first. But really enjoying it lately.

17. trevorshmevor Jun 17, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 17, 2016)
    Decided to give The Anti-Mother a listen since I was never really a big fan of it, but it's been probably like four years or so since I last gave it a shot. Still not doing much for me. Definitely directly laid the groundwork for the fantastic releases that came afterward, but just isn't quite up to par with any of their other material IMO

18. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Pretty good opinion on it.

I seem to like it more than you, though but I get your point.

19. Yeah, like it isn't quite chaotic and straight up heavy enough for me to like it more than the earlier material, but also doesn't feature the strong songwriting and variety found on the later releases. So it's just kind of this... weird middle album haha.

I can see myself liking it a lot more if I had been there for the album roll out though haha. Wasn't paying attention to this band in 2008 and didn't even know the album existed until after Meridional came out.

20. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan when it came out but I've grown to like it more. It's down there on the list of favorites, though.

Got any good recs of bands similar? I feel like I haven't found anything in awhile.

21. I really don't listen to a lot of heavy music haha, so anything I'd recommend would probably be pretty obvious. The Chariot, '68, and Every Time I Die are three bands I'd consider to be in the same vein

22. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Yeah, I love those bands!

Thanks, TREVSHMEV

trevorshmevor likes this.
  23. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

My timeline with Norma Jean is weird. Didn't like them at all when I first heard them (around 2006) but they grew on me after awhile and Wrongdoers got me hooked. Slowly started to get into the rest of their discography from the way back and they're one of my favorite bands now.

24. inwaves

I first got into them when Redeemer was released. I heard A Small Spark vs. a Great Forest and it hooked me immediately. Then Anti-Mother was released and, being a huge Deftones fan, I was so excited by the fact that they co-wrote some songs with Chino. That's probably why I like that album so much.

airik625 likes this.
  25. airik625

Yeah you don't have to listen for very long to hear Deftones' similarities. And I love the track that he's actually featured on.

I think I remember watching a couple videos of "The Anti-Mother Sessions" and Chino was in almost all of them. Need to go back and see if I can't find those anywhere.

inwaves likes this.