Norma Jean - Polar Similar Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jun 14, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Prestigious

Delayed until early October. Most definitely a bummer.

2. redwing91007

Next Show - Warped Tour 14/7/2018 Supporter

Welp :-/. At that point I'll just wait until they tour here and grab a copy then.

3. Jakob Allen

Trusted

Absolutely love this album. I am anticipating it to be #3 for the year for me behind ETID, and SIMS.

However, I cant stand when reviews have descriptions like this "One could go as far as saying the interludes are there for the listener to step back, take a breath and try to process the fracturing world around them; the abuse extending through the darkest corners of the universe."

4. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

this record cooks

5. atlas

Trusted

I put a steak on this record, hit play, and it was ready to eat in 5 minutes

unbornwhiskey likes this.
  6. airik625 Sep 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 9, 2016)
    airik625

I'm glad everyone is getting to hear it now. Someone mentioned in the thread earlier, but their last three records are one of the best three releases in succession that I can think of. (Meridional, Wrongdoers, and Polar Similar). I would take that one step further and include The Anti-Mother in there.

Jakob Allen likes this.
  7. Eric Wilson

Trusted Supporter

I only casually listened to Norma Jean, but decided to give this album a spin, and wow, it's insane. Will be checking out their back catalog now.

8. Jakob Allen

Trusted

We are probably in the minority for liking Anti Mother. lol Most people I have talked to dislike it. But what do I know, O God is my favorite NJ album haha.

9. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

10. airik625

That's actually my least favorite haha. I just don't like it.

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that they titles their next album Redeemeer, because even the band didn't like it and they felt they needed to "redeem themselves". Anyone else remember something along those lines?

Also, if you wanted the 45 minute documentary about the making of Polar Similar, I highly suggest you do that.

11. redwing91007

Anti Mother is still one of my favorite NJ albums. It's the album that got me into them though so that could be playing a part.

12. Chase Tremaine

theherox @oursbyaccident oursbyaccident.com Supporter

Anti Mother didn't get me into them but it sustained me liking them. It came out during a period of my life when I was losing interest in heavier bands and the entire metal/hardcore scenes in general. For some reason though, Anti Mother clicked. Had I not liked Anti, I probably wouldn't have given two flips when Meridional came out, which is tied with Wrongdoers as my favorite NJ albums. I'd still pick Anti over anything pre-Redeemer.

13. Chase Tremaine

Good to know! My brother already listened to 100 Words and really enjoyed it.

Speaking of podcasts, totally off the point from NJ, but did you ever listen to the Reel World Theology episode on the film Calvary?

14. redwing91007

I think it was largely timing for me. That album came out just as I was getting into the heavier bands and nearing the end of high school. I was heavily into punk (Misfits, Dead Kennedys, etc) at the time and then all the sudden here was Norma JEan and The Dillinger Escape Plan and my world was never the same.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  15. Jakob Allen

Trusted

I don't know why, but I just love that album so much. Redeemer is actually my second favorite, followed by Polar Similar.

I will definitely check out that documentary.

16. LightWithoutHeat

Doomed to Live

What a pleasant surprise this album is. Can't get enough.

17. Bane

The spiciest meme

Didn't know people were so down on O God, I like all their albums so I can't really say what I would put as a least favorite. With Cory's vocals on O God their sound is very....dirty is the best word I can think of to describe it. And I don't mean that in a bad way, it's interesting to me. But I don't see it as an album/sound that could have had 2+ albums. One album is perfect for it.

18. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

I'm a huge mark for this band and even I'm blown away by how good the new record is.

19. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I did! haha, I remember thinking I needed to respond to it somewhere, but couldn't remember where it had been brought up. I had a lot of similar thoughts on it.

20. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

also, I'm not as into this on first listen as I was with Wrongdoers, maybe it's because I've over-hyped myself on this, while Wrongdoers was a total surprise release for me. I still enjoy it, the highlights are definitely the 3 singles and Nexus, though.

21. The Mysterious

Yes...but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts

It listens better with a baseball bat and fragile objects in the same room, give that a shot and see what happens.

22. Chase Tremaine

No worries!

23. Bane

The spiciest meme

Was not expecting this song to get the first music video, but it's one of my favs from the album so that's great

24. airik625

coleslawed likes this.
  25. trevorshmevor

and use a pretty font Supporter

Kinda cool I guess. Unique at least haha. Don't totally see the point in it though.