Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Norma Jean - Polar Similar Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jun 14, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Amazing username by the way.

It's good to hear this band increase the heaviness. Love it.

RunInTheFront likes this.
  2. atlas

Trusted

I HOPE YOU BUUUUUUUUUUURRRRNNNNNNNN

that put the biggest fuckin grin on my face and it didn't come off until the album ended pretty much

airik625 likes this.
  3. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

Definitely different, definitely weird. I like it so far.

4. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Only Norma Jean I've ever listened to are redeemer (I like) and bless the martyr (I hate). This worth a shot?

5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Just started this. Already love it.

6. subplotofcrows

Maybe. It's not really like either of those two at all.
    On another note, try Meridional if you like Redeemer.

7. Garrett

If you like Redeemer, yes. But also check out Meridional if you like Redeemer. Incredible record.

8. Leftandleaving

Alright, cool. That's got me curious. Will do also. Thanks

9. Garrett

Double Meridional rec. Nice.

trevorshmevor and Zac Djamoos like this.
  10. DoseofTerror Aug 17, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 17, 2016)
    DoseofTerror

Regular

Has to be the first time I've ever heard anything negative toward Martyr (when comparing to other Norma Jean albums).

Did you ever hear the Solid State sampler that had a new Norma Jean song before it showed up on the first album after Josh (Martyr)? It sounded more "raw", like the original Norma Jean.

I'm trying to find the damn song.

EDIT: Here is the sampler that it was one, notice the track doesn't even show the artist name.

This Is Solid State, Vol. 5 - Various Artists | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

The sample is good, I wish they stayed with this sound.

11. subplotofcrows

The first album after Josh was O'God. You're probably thinking of Astronomicoronary from This Is Solid State 5. It was a demo of Pretendeavor. I have it in my iTunes, but can't find it on Youtube.

12. DoseofTerror

Regular

Nope.

It was called "In Reference to a Sinking Ship", take a look at the link.

O'God came out like 6 months after this sampler, take a look at the link above.

13. subplotofcrows

Same song actually. I ripped mine from that Solid State Sampler I bought at a record store used years ago. "Astronomicorinary: In Reference To A Sinking Ship" was the original title, but had to be cut because the full title didn't fit on the back of the Solid State CD.

14. DoseofTerror

Regular

Ahhhh alright. I thought it was just In Reference...

Either way, really good.

15. subplotofcrows

Yeah its cool. Demo version is better for sure.
    Also, it took me like 10 years to get the hidden pre-gap track from O'God. Norma Jean does some really crazy shit, like the song pieces on Meridional that overlay into one track.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  16. Leftandleaving

I've seen a coupe people agree with me, but I think it just sounds like a pretty standard metalcore album. Some of the tracks really drag and I think Josh became a much better vocalist after he left the band

I can't listen to this song right now but I definitely made a note to check it out when I get home

17. airik625

Love the demo versions on the mwY split.

Also, I've never been able to find a rip of the "Deluxe Version" issued for Martyr. It apparently has different mixes of tracks. Still have never heard those to this day.

18. DoseofTerror

Regular

There are other people that will say Botch did it better, but I never got into them.

Another band really worth checking out from the early 2000's was Evelynn. If you look them up now, you'll find some weird band that isn't them, here are the few tracks I can actually find.

This split came out in 2001, so technically Norma Jean sounds like them. You could count Josh's previous band Luti-Kriss (I think that was the spelling) as coming before, but they were somewhat different.

fronkensteen and Zac Djamoos like this.
  19. airik625

Do you have a rip of that Sinking Ship demo that was released on that sampler? If so, I would love to have that.

20. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I have not heard about this...?!

21. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

would alo like more info/to listen to that meridional bit.

22. subplotofcrows

Those demos are good. I wish I had a higher quality rip than the ones I have.
    I had(have?) two of those songs from the """deluxe""" edition: Pretty Soon... and The Shotgun Message. I'll look to see if I still have them.

I do. I'll try to upload it later.
    The three instrumental tracks from Meridional are all pieces of the same track.

23. airik625

@subplotofcrows Thanks! I would love to have any/all of those demo tracks.

Also I guess I never realized that the three instrumental tracks were pieced out like that. Though I did notice they were similar.

I wonder if the instrumental tracks on Polar Similar are the same way.

24. Leftandleaving

Botch is pretty cool IMO

Yeah this isn't bad, I'll have to listen to this more. Thanks for the rec! I've also actually never listened to lutikriss, have heard of them though. I'll give em a shot anyway

25. fronkensteen

Trusted

Oh my God, I love you. Evelynn was DOPE. I love that whole EP actually. I used to see Luti-Kriss play with Evelynn all the time.

Shane Blay from Oh, Sleeper was originally in Evelynn, btw.