Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Norma Jean - All Hail (October 26, 2019) Album • Page 12

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jul 17, 2019.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

SO TOSS AGAIN

Rowan5215 and StuffinCups like this.
  2. VCargo08

Right now it's this and Banks' III. I feel like these two albums are gonna be my whole spotify replay or whatever it's called.

disambigujason likes this.
  3. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Mines kind of wild. I think my top 5 will be this, Taylor Swift, Whitney, Turnover, and Local Natives, just based on my last.fm plays from albums released this year. The Menzingers, Oso Oso, and Opeth on the outside looking in.

VCargo08 likes this.
  4. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

This has grown on me a lot. Landslide and translational have entered the upper pantheon with with errors, careen, and Anna.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  5. Jbent

Trusted

The back half of this album is awesome, which is saying something considering how strong the first 7 tracks are.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  6. VCargo08

I wish I loved that Taylor album more holistically. I can pop in and out for a few tracks and be pretty content, but I don't feel a compulsion to do full-playthroughs at all.

7. Gooddayz

always and forever

YEAH, ALL HAIL

Damn this album hit me like a ton of bricks today.

coleslawed likes this.
  8. Micah511

burn baby, burn.

yeah.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. Gooddayz

always and forever

If [Loss] then [Leader] has some Meridional vibes. I like it

10. Micah511

This song is constantly stuck in my head. "Lies die, lies resuscitate, lies forever"

11. VCargo08

It was my least favorite of the album for a while... it was too reminiscent of UO's Erase Me at the beginning but holy shit I've come around on it.

12. So this is growing on me... and damn this could top Polar Similar in my mind.

StuffinCups likes this.
  13. tvck

Trusted

I love Norma Jean, but sometimes I've had a hard time really going back to their past albums. That is not the case with this one and I'm listening to it 2-3 times a week since release. It's so good and hits so many notes on things I really love about them.

disambigujason and Micah511 like this.
  14. Micah511

at 0:50 on If [Loss] Then [Leader], you could easily convince me that is Aaron Gillespie. Really such a dynamic performance from Cory on this album that keeps it fresh.

15. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

So I finally got some headphones back from a friend to use at the gym. Threw on an older playlist that coincidentally had Landslide Defeater on it from back when it was a single and because I put it on shuffle, that song hit different. And it was amazing. These songs are legendary NJ I think.

16. DesolateEarth

Birb

Yes this albums is still wonderful. These guys never disappoint.

17. VCargo08

I've forced myself to do this completely arbitrary and meaningless ranking system over and over since All Hail dropped, and I'm starting to think I'm going to go ahead and call it their best album, even though Wrongdoers has such a special place in my heart.

Why? Because i think they've progressed each and every time. Whether or not there are more bangers on one album or the other, or whether or not every album ends with "Sun Dies, Blood Moon", their ability to find ways to evolve and reinvent themselves over and over in a genre where folks are just writing generic pop shit to prove they've 'grown up' is so impressive to me.

So while there are high points on each album (the only one that doesn't hit me in my sweet spot since Redeemer is The Anti Mother) the definitive feature of each one is that they are improving and evolving from the last. So yeah, All Hail is the best version of Norma Jean, because of their history and because of where they're going. I fucking love this record.

18. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I’ve been meaning to do a full discog run but I’ve at least been revisiting my favorites and various others off prior records and while I think their best songs are still elsewhere, I’m pretty sure this is the most consistent. Also definitely corys best vocal performance, very fresh as someone else alluded to.

19. atlas

Trusted

I don't understand how he's increased his vocal range at 43 years old. He wasn't singing like this even on like, Meridional

20. Bane

The spiciest meme

I always think it's so neat that he has kids that are like, college age basically and he's still out doing this and killing it

airik625 and LightWithoutHeat like this.
  21. Gooddayz

always and forever

Yeah I love this album, it just gets better with every listen. And the latter half really shines, from Full Circle onward it's :clap: :clap::ok:

Micah511 likes this.
  22. atlas

Trusted

at all at all aT ALL AT ALL AT ALL AT

AT

ALL

airik625 and StuffinCups like this.
  23. VCargo08

I can't stop listening to this album, and I'm shocked how much I'm in love with Careen. For an Autumn album, I think that's gonna end up being my top-played for 2019.

24. The Mysterious

Yes...but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts

pit was WILD for Mind Over Mind, not gonna be able to listen to that song the same way again lol. Super fun to see people going hard for these guys in-person and online, still

25. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

I can visualize the chaos that the "quiet weapon for a peaceful kill" breakdown could bring

The Mysterious likes this.