Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Norma Jean - All Hail (October 26, 2019) Album • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I still have a hard time deciding if I like the full on assault songs better than the weirder more experimental songs. The album really is perfectly balanced in that regard.

2. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Serious Deftones vibes on Careen. That's a tour I need, Deftones and Norma Jean.

3. Micah511

Chino was on Anti-Mother somewhere. Did that tour ever happen in the past?

SpookinCups likes this.
  4. LightWithoutHeat

Yeah I remember geeking out over this video back then:

As for a tour I don't think it has.

airik625 and SpookinCups like this.
  5. drewinseries

Drew

Careen is so good.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  6. xthricex

Regular

I haven’t immediately clicked with NJ albums often outside of wrongdoers. But when I’m getting Trenches and Erase me Underoath vibes in the same album I’m happy.

7. Micah511

Erase Me vibes? I’d love to hear you expand on that. This seems like the anti-Erase Me to me personally.

Have we talked about how Cory straight up sounds like the lead singer of He Is Legend during Anna. Definitely mean that as a good thing.

8. xthricex

Regular

So in my head the thought was more guitar tones on some of the experimental and moderate parts of some of the songs that made me think of erase me (an sos potentially other records) not the vocals. I’d have to go back and listen to pick up which songs. Corey and spencer have never sounded similar to me. But while I’ve never thought about it Schuyler and Corey have a similarity for sure.

9. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

Anti-Mother has a bunch of features right? Dude from Helmet and Cove in addition to Chino is what i remember.

10. Micah511

Yeah those three contributed a lot. I think they considered them more “co-songwriters” than just guest vocal features.

estebanwaseaten likes this.
  11. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

I can't think of a single band in the genre that continues to grow as much as NJ. Each new album they release is absolutely fantastic. Holy crap is this new album a banger.

12. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

any active bands out there that sound like NJ? Seems like most metalcore now is either the more crazy chaotic sound or the AltPress-favored pop metalcore. I always thought Underoath and Norma Jean sat in this perfect space of heavy and melody and it’s kinda disappeared since.

Greyhaven are great but can get a bit too chaotic for me. Limbs have that nice booming wall-of-guitar sound but I think they blend a bit more.

13. Not a 1:1 ratio but you might like Ithaca — not a lot of melody but definitely pretty heavy and not very Alt-Pressy.

Vein is another great band too but definitely lean more into the chaotic side, like Greyhaven

14. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

I mean... someone's gonna hit me for this but Every Time I Die

15. I got He Is Legend vibes from that song as well. Might be the guitar tone.

16. It's already a slight stretch because of the djent influences, but you might like the latest Architects album.

mescalineeyes likes this.
  17. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us is peak metalcore

18. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I remember saving an Ithaca album to listen to, gonna have to revisit. Agreed on Vein.

haha I thought about using ETID as an example. Unpopular opinion but I’ve always struggled to get into em. A few songs I love but for the most part I really don’t like the guitar work.

I do enjoy architects for sure, but I see em as just doing the AltPress sound really really well

all good bands, thanks for the tips

trevorshmevor likes this.
  19. LightWithoutHeat

They aren’t around anymore but the two Spitfire albums, Self-Help and Cult Fiction, have some of the best metalcore material ever recorded in my opinion.

20. SlappinCups

Hurley apologist Prestigious

oh my god, Spitfire ruuuuullllled

coleslawed and LightWithoutHeat like this.
  21. SlappinCups

Hurley apologist Prestigious

yeah that album with Scottie Henry was awesome

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  22. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Anyone into this or the apocalypse? Recently was recommended dead years and it blew me away.

23. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

This is the only album I’ve been listening to since it was released. Might be recency bias, but I could see it being my album of the year.

VCargo08 and LightWithoutHeat like this.
  24. Micah511

I don't know if it's my AOTY, but I have definitely listened to it more than any other album already this year.

airik625 likes this.
  25. Micah511

THESE ARE NOT THE QUESTIONS I ASK THE COIN