Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nope (Jordan Peele, July 22, 2022) Movie • Page 24

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Good for Kattan, he needs a W

solxace, phaynes12, domotime2 and 3 others like this.
  2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Kattan will forever be a legend based on Night at the Roxbury alone.

Brent likes this.
  3. i thought corky romano was the funniest shit ever in middle school

imthesheriff likes this.
  4. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I hope he gets a bit part in the next Peele movie, would be fun.

5. He's fun in the House on Haunted Hill remake

David87 and chewbacca110 like this.
  6. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

Finally saw Nope last night. Absolutely loved it, then proceeded to stay up all night reading peoples takes on the themes and symbolism of the movie.

Gonna be chewing on this for a bit. Peele is 3 for 3 for me.

7. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Saw it again last night, definitely still loved it. Confirmed my own thought that it sucked up a barbed wire fence right before completely reforming, also loved the second design, I think I saw the real form for one second right before the end.

8. Going for round two today with my fiancee and a couple of friends, all of whom haven't seen it. Excited!

Contender likes this.
  9. Anything I should pay particular attention to on second viewing?

10. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

The movie screen

11. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Seriously. Keep your phone in your pocket and your eye balls on the screen.

12. blast0rama

Watch the cloud.

amorningofsleep and devenstonow like this.
  13. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I think I knew the beats to really pay attention to more closely.

Also yeah, that cloud that doesn’t move really is there the whole time. I always thought that was it’s resting place, but does the cloud not appear when it’s moving around? Maybe it’s more like a floating nest.

14. Lucas27

Trusted

So, this movie made a childhood fear of mine resurface. I'm from Atlanta where it's all forest, and when I was young I would feel anxious in open spaces cause I had recurring dreams that gravity would stop and I'd float into the sky and have to grab a tree to keep from floating up into nothingness. One time our family drove through Kansas when I was a kid and all I could think was, "This place is awful! There's nothing to hold on to!"

Very silly, of course. Then I moved out to California where it's open and it hasn't been a thing at all. But the other night I was walking a trail in Valencia where I live (incidentally a few miles from where this was filmed), saw a small cloud in the sky, thought of the alien from Nope coming down to suck me up, and I got massive goosebumps. I haven't had that feeling for a while. There was a fence on the side of the trail and I edged a little closer to it just in case I needed to hang on. HA.

Kudos to Jordan Peele for that. This movie keeps on giving.

15. Liked this even more on second watch. I don't think it's perfect, but it's very, very good. Better than Us (which, again, I love) and so much more thoughtful than most blockbusters right now. I like that I had to chew on it for a while and see it again (especially in theaters) to really start putting the pieces together. The director's decision makes so much more sense when you realize his obsession with the impossible shot is directly at odds with the theme of using something out of your control for entertainment (or in this case, personal gain). He was willing to throw away everything (and die in the process) just so he could get the one thing he's always wanted.

It also clicked that at least OJ (if not Em as well) knew this lesson going into the third act, but still went for the gold and ultimately, they paid for it. I now think OJ did die, but it's a sacrifice he made so his sister could finally have what she couldn't when she was nine (and now, so much more). He's "lost interest" and essentially disassociated from his work and life since their father passed. His time is up, but he can still leave Em with something to cement their bond. It really strengthened that emotional connection for me on second viewing (I actually felt a little weepy when they did the hand signals back and forth).

Unfortunately, between my fiancee and the two Marvel heads we took with us, I don't think anyone enjoyed it as much as I did lol. Complaints about pacing, how weird/nontraditional it was, etc.

16. blast0rama

Here's a fun one I don't think was mentioned here.

The TMZ bike rider is named in the credits as Ryder Muybridge.

The name of the person who shot the original footage of the black man on the horse? Eadweard Muybridge.

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

18. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I hope he can keep doing whatever he wants, the success speaks for itself. Even though I have a lot of problems with Us, its got a lot of qualities that make it a very fun and well directed horror movie. And the other two are some of the best modern horror films imo.

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

solxace and Helloelloallo like this.
  20. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

This is always something I go back and forth on with horror/fantasy/supernatural stories - how much needs to be explained, and how much mystery is allowable before it becomes riddled with plot holes or non-sensical? Obviously each persons mileage varies, but I am someone who generally needs a lot of explanation and back story. I'm often annoyed when 'high-concept' movies come out based solely on just an idea, and it irks me that because people have connections, they can come up with the idea only and not the substance, and get a movie made. The latest thing that comes to mind is Wandavision as I felt that was a completely half baked idea and that on questioning, the whole premise falls apart pretty hard. It was an exceptional idea, but it wasn't fleshed out and it felt like a 'just go with it because it's cool' show.

I think Nope is an example of where it was done really well though on the inverse. I did read that they had an origin story and cut it, and I'm okay with that. It doesn't fall apart under investigation. Asking where the alien came from, what it's prior food source was etc. doesn't really derail the movie.

21. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

finally saw this. definitely his best film to date imo

loved pretty much all the things y'all already mentioned in here, one thing I didn't see yet was that Osgood Perkins (director of The Blackcoat's Daughter) was the guy directing the commercial at the start. loved that

22. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Excited to see this tonight.

23. OotyPa Aug 11, 2022
    (Last edited: Aug 11, 2022)
    OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Just got back. First impression is that I really enjoyed this! But to be perfectly honest I think I missed all the thematic subtext people are talking about in here about exploitation of one’s trauma. I did catch the “taming the wild” thing. I mean I get the spectacle bit from Yuen’s character (his role is pretty minor, so maybe I missed how crucial it is to understanding the entire film)… but can someone explain in simple terms how the film touches on this “exploitation of trauma in Hollywood” theme besides that?

Leftandleaving likes this.
  24. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Got my Jesus Lizard shirt in the mail finally. Let’s rock

imthesheriff likes this.
  25. tomdelonge

Trusted

It’s not so much exploitation of trauma IN Hollywood, as it is BY Hollywood. Hollywood meaning all this perverse nonsense that consumes our attention 24/7. It’s a grotesque imitation of life. It’s the filth that’s landed on us and consumed us, like the bible verse in the beginning. Bullshit like horse commercials, gawdy western amusement parks modeled on a fake west that was invented by movies, TMZ, sitcoms with monkeys cuz why not, Ancient Aliens, UFO videos, Oprah shots, the OJ simpson chase etc

It’s all depraved bullshit. A spectacle that only exists cuz it makes money because people can’t help but gawk at our sick sad world.

And since it has controlled our existence every since that first moving image of the horse rider, it’s changed us. So we do things like Jupe, the cinematographer, and the TMZ guy do. We surrender ourselves to a thing that kills us if we look at it. It’s all we know.

In that sense, we’re all the traumatized child actor. And the only thing we know how to do is re-enact our trauma thru the spectacle.

The philosopher Guy Debord wrote a book called The Society Of The Spectacle in the 60s that seems like may have been on Jordan Peele’s mind: “All that once was directly lived has become mere representation”