Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nope (Jordan Peele, July 22, 2022) Movie • Page 23

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jul 22, 2021.

1. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Yeah generic aliens would have been a bummer and go against the main themes they had, much happier with the direction this went.

2. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Yeah I liked the spectacle of this movie more than an intimate movie about little alien fuckers.

3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Yeah, the kids pulling the prank dressed as aliens. And I love Signs and do see the comparison for that thread of plot. It was just the most compelling part of the film for me. And I do appreciate the attempt overall here, and had a lot of fun, but I don’t think it works as well as it needs to. (Felt the same way about Us, tbh.)

4. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

The scenes with the crowd and the blood house were so much more chilling than anything in a standard alien movie.

5. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I mean, while there is nothing wrong with wanting to know more about Jean Jacket, I would ask is it needed? The point of it is that it’s something someone is using for spectacle. They believe they are in control but are very wrong. We know it is a predator. Do we need to know more? Did we need a backstory for Jaws? Obviously we know more about sharks than a unique alien creature, so it’s not a perfect comparison. But what would a back story have really added to this particular story? It’s a spectacle someone is foolishly trying to use for their gain and it’s a predator. This explains its actions in the movie. Knowing what planet or moon it came from or if it had a family or some such really doesn’t change the story being told here. I wouldn’t be surprised if Peele had that background written, but it’s an easy cut to make in this movie if so.

6. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

The background isn't needed but of course I'd love to know, its a fascinating creature alien or otherwise. Honestly I hope he doesn't but this is the only of his films where I think a sequel (or prequel) would make sense.

GrantCloud and MysteryKnight like this.
  7. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Nothing wrong with wanting to know more.

8. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I don’t know if I need a movie or something, just give me a podcast with whomever designed him and peele and talk please

incognitojones and Aaron Mook like this.
  9. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Lol I was so gonna say it’s called Signs

10. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Id like to know when Steven Yeuns character noticed it and his thought process before he figured he could make money off it

incognitojones likes this.
  11. xkaylinh Jul 31, 2022
    (Last edited: Jul 31, 2022)
    How much do we know about the Cloverfield monster, for instance? idk if it's necessary to include alien lore in the film. I can't remember the term for it but there's a lot of lore outside of the film itself built through a bunch of content made to supplement the film. "viral marketing" is too simple, though.

12. EntryLevelTank Jul 31, 2022
    (Last edited: Jul 31, 2022)
    EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

If you paid really close attention or are a nerd and consumed every single article about that movie, you may have seen it arriving on earth at least haha

13. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I do know a lot more about the Cloverfield monster than Jean Jacket

14. Helloelloallo Aug 1, 2022
    (Last edited: Aug 1, 2022)
    Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

I liked this but it will need a rewatch as with Peele being writer/director/producer, you know each scene is jam packed with clues and details. I've already seen a few cool things on twitter and reddit that I missed. I'm not 100% sure what the overall message is, and I think he's being purposely coy about it and leaving it up for interpretation (even though I'm sure there was an intention and a right takeaway), but I enjoy the movie for what I was able to get out of a first watch. I though the pacing was great and things were introduced at the right time, and despite seeing what seemed like so much in the trailers, there were a lot of surprises. I mean the opening scene alone I was like 'well this is going to be interesting'.

15. I don’t think it’s as mysterious as some people think it is. Pretty straightforward

16. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I think that’s true of all three of his movies.

Garrett likes this.
  17. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

simultaneously straightforward yet leaving enough space to take on a ton of different readings

18. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Sure, the story was straight forward and it works as a popcorn spectacle, and depending on how you view your movies, you may not miss out on much by not going any deeper than that, but there's a lot of social commentary as always that I want to explore more on a re-watch. (The treatment/and lack of credit for minorities in Hollywood, childhood trauma & childhood fame, animal testing/rights, and then there's obviously some deeper meaning to who is a victim and who isn't, and I think that part of it can be interpreted multiple ways).

popdisaster00 and imthesheriff like this.
  19. MattNCheeze

Trusted

I liked that he looked up in the truck and said "nope"

20. soggytime

Trusted

It's straightforward textually, but deeper sub-textually. Pretty brilliant screenwriting

incognitojones likes this.
  21. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

Nope

best review of this movie i've read so far

Drew Beringer, Aregala and aoftbsten like this.
  22. soggytime

Trusted

Saw it again in IMAX this time. Even better on rewatch. I think it might be Peele’s best film. Bumped it up to 5 stars. See the doubters on the other side years from now when we all point to this as a canonical classic

Joe4th, solxace, imthesheriff and 2 others like this.
  23. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I gotta think about it. I really have no idea how I feel about this.

Some scenes, especially the alien eating everyone blood rain on the house scene was amazing. My God. Truly haunting.

Peele has an eye and I completely trust him to give me something new and unique and he delivered once again.

But as a whole movie, I don't know if it connected. It felt like bits and pieces of a bunch of movies that were meant to connect together and have a deep meaning ...but sadly either they didn't? Or i just didn't get it.

The movie is a winner but I can't commit to saying it was good?

I need some time.

Garrett likes this.
  24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum