Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nomadland (Chloé Zhao, February 19,2021) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 17, 2020.

1. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Not sure where you live but the film festivals are online and open to the public

2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Pennsylvania.

Kept seeing ones that weren’t online, or were sold out, or super specifically region locked, lol.

riotspray likes this.
  3. soggytime

Trusted

Honestly the academy should set up a “virtual screening room” that is open to the public for every single film that gets nominated going forward. Otherwise it will be difficult for a lot of people to actually see the films this year. But they won’t.

riotspray likes this.
  4. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I hear ya. I had lots of trouble getting tickets to this particular one to be honest. It would say sold out, but then come back and say it wasn't sold out, and back and forth, and then it would only work in certain browsers. The other fests I've watched from have been much smoother.

5. Morrissey

Trusted

The entire point of the Academy Awards is to drive ticket sales. They would never do this. They have never cared about whether or not people have seen the films, either, which is why a lot of the movies competing release in two theaters on the last week of December to skirt around the deadline.

soggytime, imthesheriff and riotspray like this.
  6. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

Serh likes this.
  7. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

riotspray and PatRFinley like this.
  8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

coleslawed likes this.
  9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

This is very, very good. It hit me extra hard because it comes during a week where my partner got laid off and a person in our office unexpectedly died. Its musings on the deck being stacked against people and the beauty of life and death couldn't be more relevant. McDormand makes her performance look easy.

I have no idea why this is waiting until February to get released. Get rid of the staggered awards window and let the people have it.

10. Tim

When this ends up at or near the top of my 2021 list, I better not get any dorks telling me it’s not a 2021 film, lol.

SpyKi likes this.
  11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

dude, i'm really sorry to hear about those things. hope this is very temporary for him/her

Zilla likes this.
  12. MikeERayner

Trusted

I saw this in the theatre yesterday (I’m in Sydney where things aren’t nearly as bad). It was so fucking good.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  13. Morrissey

Trusted

This was good. It reminded me a lot of Wendy and Lucy, and in a film like this the biggest worry is that they are going to botch the ending, which the film has multiple off-ramps to do but does not indulge in.

I also was not expecting a Morrissey reference ten minutes into the movie.

coleslawed likes this.
  14. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

coleslawed, riotspray and phaynes12 like this.
  15. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Good strategy, the people are really clamoring for the thrilling experience of IMAX for....*squints at notes*...Nomadland.

16. Tim

I mean, honestly, yeah. Chloé Zhao on a big ass IMAX screen sounds wonderful.

aoftbsten, coleslawed and yung_ting like this.
  17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

wonder if she'll ever make a film that'll REALLY translate to the biggest possible screen...

18. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Have you actually seen this yet? I would KILL to see this in IMAX.

aoftbsten, coleslawed and Tim like this.
  19. Tim

I haven’t yet, but based on The Rider, experiencing Nomadland in IMAX for the first time would be such a great experience.

jkauf likes this.
  20. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

It’s just so many gorgeous landscapes. Would rent out an imax theater to do this

21. the rural juror Jan 14, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 14, 2021)
    the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

In retrospect, my post sounds snarkier than intended. It wasn’t about the film, which I agree looks gorgeous (from what I’ve seen), and more that it doesn’t seem like a film that would do a lot of business in imax theaters. But I could be wrong about that.

Mostly I just want them to release it already haha.

Tim likes this.
  22. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

This is probably correct in normal times, who knows now, though?!!? Lol. This movie just has some of the most incredible shots of vistas that I've ever seen, and I can't imagine how beautiful they'd look on a huge screen.

the rural juror likes this.
  23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

oh!

24. Tim

Everything about that premise sounds like it could be either neat or very stupid... until you mention Chloé Zhao, & then I’m like, yeah, I’m all in.

Also, I’m seriously thinking about double masking & seeing this in IMAX this weekend. If the theater is still super empty Saturday morning, I think I’m gonna take the dive. Would be first theater trip since Birds of Prey.

coleslawed likes this.
  25. Morrissey

Trusted

How are you going to eat popcorn?

phaynes12 likes this.