Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Noisey Talks With Latterman About Reunion

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Dan Ozzi, writing for Noisey, talks with Latterman about their upcoming two reunion shows and catching up on what the members have been up to. It’s a great read.

Something I’ll experience so often on RVIVR tours is that people will come up to me and say, “I wish I saw Latterman!” And I’ll be like, “Yeah we played here.” And they’d be like, “Really? When?” And I’d say, “In 2001 at Trashcan Books.” And they’re like, “What’s that?” And I’m like, “I don’t know, the anarchist space?” And they’re like, “Oh that’s not around anymore. My older sister worked there, but I was ten years old.” RVIVR, in the beginning, we pissed a lot of people off. People were very, very angry at us about wanting to be inclusive of queer people, wanting to be inclusive of women, of trans people. To the point where people would come to RVIVR shows just to mess with us.

2. princexero

Let's Lead, Not Follow

I hope they'll tour Europe in the near future!

Jake W likes this.
  3. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

wish they'd either come to the west coast or play fest :(

4. HalfHearted

Regular

5. Cola.

I was such a looker in the old days Prestigious

So excited for this. I got to see them in Brooklyn at the Bell House a few years back when they did like 3 reunion shows.

6. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

I have only recently got into Latterman, one of the more glaring omissions of my listening history. Certainly love what I have heard, and I hear their influence in modern punk/pop punk more so than many bands that get much more credit than them.

7. TonyG

Latterman were fantastic, I really enjoy the spawned off bands RVIVR and Iron Chic a lot too. But Latterman was tops in my opinion, I definitely believe they were a tad ahead of their time.

8. tommymcphail

Death To Apathy/Get Busy or Get Left Behind

With this being Fest 15 (and probably a super alum-heavy year), I think a Latterman Fest set is virtually guaranteed.

9. HalfHearted

Regular

These were my thoughts as well. 6 more days until the first announcement, can't wait.

10. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

best pop punk band of all time, going to go to a NYC show

11. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Can't believe I never heard of this band, having grown up and been in HS during their era on Long Island.

"Obviously with people involved in punk, you’d hope they’d have a predilection to questioning at least the mainstream, but a website called “Punknews” recently just happened to be somehow less sensitive to the issues pertaining to the trans community than major political figures in American politics."

That's why it's imperative to report and comment on misogyny/sexual abuse/homophobia or transphobia/etc in the community. When a place purporting to represent a community like punk makes a joke like that, we all suffer.

I also really liked this line:
    "The thing that drew me to being in a punk band is the rebellious nature of it—having a place for freaks and weirdos and outsiders. The idea that it would mimic the violence and hate that was put on us by mainstream culture is so foul to me, it was disgusting."

I can't really say more, this was well said. Seems especially relevant given the discussion surrounding TSSF this past week.

This was a great interview, I look forward to catching a show.

Jason Tate and princexero like this.
  12. mybreakingpoint

The Greatest Escapegoat

tommymcphail and princexero like this.
  13. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

I'm betting both letterman and piebald will play fest