Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

NOFX Issue Apology for Vegas Comments

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

NOFX have released a lengthier statement and apology for their recent horrific comments. You can read that in full below.

There’s no place here to backpedal. What NOFX said in Vegas was shameful. We crossed the line of civility. We can’t write songs about how people in this world need to be more decent, when we were clearly being indecent. Las Vegas has always been a welcoming city to our band, and to make light of the tragedy that occurred there was egregious.

All members of the band would like to sincerely apologize to anyone who experienced loss from the Vegas shooting 8 months ago, and to anyone who was at our show who lost a loved one or a friend, or who had to witness the incredibly senseless violence that night.

We were asked why we didn’t release an immediate apology. Well, we didn’t feel that we could write a sincere apology without reflecting on the actual damage we had done. No press agent was gonna write this for us. That’s why we have struggled with this for the past few days.

We didn’t plan or intend on saying anything so insensitive. It was off the cuff, but just as hurtful. We won’t blame it on drugs or alcohol or Ambien. That’s too easy. NOFX said it, and we own it. We made a tasteless joke. But to be clear, NOFX does not condone violence against ANY group of people, period!

As sincere as we’ve ever been,
    NOFX

Raku likes this.
  2. Ska Senanake

Trusted

At least they apologized. Too bad it doesn't make up for how shitty their jokes were.

Raku likes this.
  3. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I will say that as far as apologies go nowadays this one is actually pretty decent.

Not forgiving or forgetting what they said, but I'm glad they actually sound less like phonies like everyone else.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  4. BradBradley

Regular

Agreed, for the most part. I’m glad that they didn’t make excuses for their own behavior, but in making the ambien joke, they still kind of deflect attention and pull a “but hey, guys, we’re morally superior to Roseanne!” as if that’s where they decided to set the bar(r).

5. bloodinthesand

Regular

This band is out of chances! Fucking tool bags

6. dzyjay

Regular

I think considering the band they are this is a really good apology. Not excusing what they said at all, that was horrible. But seems like that do feel remorse and will smarten up a bit.

The Format and Raku like this.
  7. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Actions would go a long way with some of these apologies. A little “restorative justice,” maybe. Actually do something for the victims families as an apology?

Raku and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  8. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Donation. All the companies involved did. Now it's their turn.

Raku likes this.
  9. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Actually a well written apology for once. I'd like to see them do a benefit show or something still.

10. btr

Trusted Supporter

Every NOFX show in the U.S. has been canceled

“Fuck it! I’m not supposed to talk about it, but because of the comments we made in Las Vegas… every NOFX show has been canceled in the US. We did not drop off the shows…. we were told that NOFX is not welcome to play ANY big venue in the United States. No joke! NOFX has effectively been banned in our own country. This is not our choice, but it is our reality. We are very sorry to our fans, especially the ones in Austin. For now, we are playing in Europe, Mexico, and Canada. The Punk in Drublic Festival is still happening in Europe and other continents. I’m trying my best to bring it back to the US but a lot of people don’t want it to happen. It fuckin sucks! We made a mistake, we apologized, and we gotta suffer the consequences. Maybe it ain’t fair, but whoever said life was. We are just very thankful that our fans are being so supportive. Thanks to all of you!!!!!

See y’all in Slovenia tomorrow!
    #punkindrublicinternational
    #whendidpunkrockbecomesosafe
    #IhatednotbeinginOhio”

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

when did punk rock become so safe?

when was punk rock ever about making jokes about mass shootings in the place where it took place?

fuck them.

12. Yeah fuck them, typical response. They didn't learn anything from it.