Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

NOFX Drop Off Punk Rock Bowling

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 4, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

NOFX have dropped off the Punk Rock Bowling lineup and will be replaced by the Descendents. A message from Fat Mike can be read below.

I’ve been playing and bowling at ‘Punk Rock Bowling‘ since the very first one when there were only 22 teams. PRB is my favorite time of the year. Like so many of you, I not only get to see my favorite bands, but I also get to see my punk friends from high school. This event is my reunion, it’s my convention, and it’s my church… I was so fucking excited to play it this year… but sadly we are not going to.

NOFX had a meeting this week and decided we shouldn’t play out of respect that wounds are still healing. There has been a lot of hate messages and threats because we are on the bill, It just feels wrong. We know we said shitty things that caused it, so we get it. Sorry to everyone that wanted to see us. It’ll have to be in a different city.

Hopefully we can see you all in Vegas when the time’s right. But not Everything Sucks, I talked to Milo yesterday… And he’s comin! Decendents are taking our spot! It’s pretty fucking cool that we are being replaced by a better band! I wish I could be there to see ’em.

Actually very sincere,
    Fat Mike and NOFX

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

Like yeah the shit they said about Vegas wasn't in good taste but what happened to this band, I thought they were punk rock, why would they collectively cancel? *I am saying this not only as sarcasm but also as a real question.* I think what they said was shitty for sure but what do they go to make amends, what can be done or said that would make amends?

3. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Have they done anything more than apologize? Something to help the victims of the shooting or promote an organization that provides preventative or post-traumatic counseling? I don’t know what they’ve done but that’s where I’d start if I stuck my foot in my mouth that deep and wanted to be welcomed back to Vegas ever again.

4. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Honestly don't get why this site still promotes any news of this band.

Sean Murphy likes this.
  5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

How many mass shootings have taken place since this country festival shooting?

I feel like it’s a pretty high number.

6. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

So let’s pretend like this one didn’t matter?

Brent likes this.
  7. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

also what the fuck is even your point with this?

8. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I was asking question. Are questions now considered offensive? Seems like a fair question when talking about insensitive remarks related to mass shootings

9. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

So your point is they should be over it by now because more people have been shot since?

10. IATAvalanche

Regular

what lmao

11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Nope. I am simply curious about my actual original question. How many mass shootings have taken place since this country festival shooting?

You brought up post traumatic counselling and I was just wondering how many times those survivors had to hear about more mass shootings. I can imagine how difficult it was for the victims families and those who survived the tragic event.

12. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

"I'm only asking a question" is probably the biggest cop-out people use to avoid having to explain themselves.

Former Planets likes this.
  13. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Glad to see the band making the right decision here, seemingly for all involved.

.K. likes this.
  14. Descendents and All in one weekend? Sounds even more tempting now

alkalinexandy likes this.
  15. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

What self explaining do I need to do? I asked “How many mass shootings have taken place since this country festival shooting?”. I asked because someone brought up post traumatic stress counselling. I feel like survivors and families of victims would find hearing about those horrible events difficult too.

Do you disagree with that or something?

16. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

[​IMG]

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  17. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Not a single person has answered the same question I have asked now multiple times?

The answer, as of the end of April is 178 (208 deaths and 693 wounded). These are US stats that meet the criteria of mass shootings. And that is just 2021 numbers. I am sure there have been many more since Vegas.

I don’t think there is a person who is ok with what Melvin and Mike said. It’s shitty, and they apologized. People don’t have to except their apology. I don’t think victim counselling falls on the band to pay for. Maybe that’s something the gun industry should handle.

Not going back to play in Vegas is probably the right decision. With that said, I think gun violence is the greater issue than the comments of an aging punk rock band who have had to stand accountable for their actions and been shamed.

Not sure what you consider backpedaling. People are allowed to have different opinions.the fact that no one addresses my question could be considered a copout, but that’d just be childish and gun violence is a serious issue and name calling seems like a smaller matter in my opinion.

Ellamamama likes this.
  18. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

People haven't answered your question because it's completely irrelevant if the actual number is zero or a thousand. Nice try to put the onus on me by asking if I disagreed with something you just brought up, though.

P.S. "Asking a [slanted] question" without context isn't "having a different opinion".

19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I consider all loss of life relevant. Also, I never used italics.

20. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Man, you must have a pretty big place to store all that straw.

21. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

upload_2021-5-5_12-16-55.jpeg

22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Storing straw in small places increases the fire hazard.

23. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

But how many people have died in fires since then? I’m just asking the question.

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  24. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

In US, 2020 US stats have 3,704. You asked I answered. Unless you only asked for some sort of punchline to a joke, which would really quite sad since loss of life is sad and you were mad at Melvin and Mike for saying shitty things about the loss of life in Vegas.

25. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I suggested what they could try to make amends since they clearly would like to play Vegas again. You made a clear implication that people should get over it because there have been other shootings since. Now you’re just using circular troll logic. Your magic doesn’t work on me, rumplestiltskin!

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.