Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Noah Gundersen - White Noise (September 22, 2017) Album • Page 13

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Jul 7, 2017.

1. zmtr

Trusted

I might need to do the same thing. Do you know how artists will add "rocking" outros to songs when they're playing live? That's what it sounds like. In a live setting I welcome stuff like that but the album version should have just cut off like the older versions did IMO

fenway89 likes this.
  2. zmtr

Trusted

I agree. CTG feels quite varied to me. It's a PERFECT mix.

I mean sure, Ledges is same-y but when you're that good at writing songs in that fashion same-y is mostly irrelevant.

coleslawed likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Oh, you meant the full-band part? I love that bit. His vocals there are so top notch, and I think it mirrors the end of the record really well. The part I cut is the random minute of ambient noise at the end. That's the part that has me scratching my head.

Ledges is and it isn't. It's so well sequenced and the hooks are so strong that it's never really felt that way to me. I hear a lot of folk, Americana, and alt-country records that really are samey, so when I find an artist like Noah who is so good at crafting instantly memorable, appealing songs, it feels like a real breath of fresh air.

4. I've recommended CTG to multiple friends that said "turned it off, sounded like one long sad song."

StreetSpirit and fenway89 like this.
  5. Craig Manning

This sounds like what happens when I recommend virtually anything to any of my friends.

coleslawed and fenway89 like this.
  6. Craig Manning

Or it's just "turned it off, I don't really listen to albums."

fenway89 likes this.
  7. Heh, should recommend 'um this one then. They can't say that this time.

fenway89 likes this.
  8. Craig Manning

I feel like people just suck at listening to music though, so they might still say that! Beyond my immediate family and people that I've met on here/through other internet fan communities, I can't remember the last time I recommended someone something that they actually listened to in full, or became a fan of. Everyone is so easily distracted.

awakeohsleeper and fenway89 like this.
  9. I think maybe you're giving them bad recs. Hahahaha. :-p

fenway89 likes this.
  10. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I always try to recommend full albums because that's how I listen to music, but I know most people don't anymore. I think that's their loss, but oh well.

fenway89 and trevorshmevor like this.
  11. Craig Manning

I think it's just the nature of my friend group. I don't know anyone who is even close to being as invested in new music as I am. Which is kind of weird, since I did music stuff all through high school and majored in it in college.

But I also get the "Ew, country music" thing from time to time, even on artists who only sound tangentially country to my ears, so maybe I am giving bad recs!

morken, fenway89 and Jason Tate like this.
  12. Barcara

Regular

Damn son, just started the album and it sounds like Noah Gundersen has been listening to Moving Mountains, or Deathless at least haha.

E: This is a compliment.

coleslawed and fenway89 like this.
  13. Last year in like March I recommended The 1975 ILIWYS to this girl who literally asked me for recs. I sent her like 10 albums but knew she'd love them so I put it at the top. A couple of days later she told me she didn't like it and I was actually kind of astounded. I later found out she is the type of person that can't even finish a full song -- not exaggerating. Being in the car with her drives me insane. Anyway, she told me she turned it off after listening to like a minute of the first 3 songs lol. So that explained it.

A few months ago she posted a screenshot of Somebody Else on her Insta story and put a bunch of hearts with a caption "omg this CD". Couldn't help myself, I gave her the biggest told you so ever

KidLightning likes this.
  14. Yeah, dude. Even songs she likes. Jon Bellion is her favorite artist, I hadn't ever heard him before so one day we went to get food and I asked her to put him on. She may as well have gone to iTunes and hit "play all song previews"

Jason Tate likes this.
  15. Anyway I'm really excited to hear this based on these reactions. CTG was a top 20 for me in 2015 but I have cooled on it really hard in the last year or so. Excited to hear all of the "weirder" songs here

16. Barcara

Regular

This album is huge.

morken and Michael Qualiano like this.
  17. drewinseries

Drew

Loving every bit so far. Vinyl is expected by Friday.

18. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Not reading comments, saving this for my bus ride to NY tomorrow. Hope everyone finds things they enjoy!

19. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Wow. Floored by this album

20. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Channeling Oberst on Dry Year

21. austingordon

your local curmudgeon

Just finished my first complete listen. In brief, it’s definitely going to be a grower, and I can echo the thoughts on here about “Cocaine Sex and Alchohol” and “Bad Actors”, but God, are there a lot of highlights. Was not expecting the bombshell that was the end of “Wake Me Up, I’m Drowning”, nor the aforementioned one-two punch of “Dry Year” and “Send the Rain (To Everyone)”, the latter of which is easily one of the most incredible songs Noah has ever written. Fuck. The middle of the record is gonna take me some time, but the beginning and end are stunning. So proud of him. He’s really coming into his own, and I say that as if he somehow hadn’t already.

morken and Jason Tate like this.
  22. Craig Manning

I feel like I just can't even comprehend how a lot of people interact with music these days. The skipping songs, the not listening to albums, the using YouTube as a streaming service, etc. A lot of it is my generation, and I still feel like I'm the old guy on the porch yelling "you goldarn kids!"

23. Ben Lee Sep 21, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 21, 2017)
    Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

That’s part of why I haven’t listened to this yet. I tried when the stream went up but I don’t like SoundCloud for some reason and was getting frustrated. I’ll just wait til I have the album tomorrow and give it one full listen.

sean_rugy likes this.
  24. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

these streams never open in the Soundcloud app and the embedded streams never seem to work well on mobile. I'll give this a proper listen tomorrow, but what I've heard I loved.

dadbolt likes this.