Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Noah Gundersen - Lover (August 23, 2019) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Slangster, Jun 20, 2019.

1. zmtr

Trusted

i will drive to your house to listen... its only 3 hours away lmao

coleslawed and Craig Manning like this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I've only listened once, and it's a lot to take in. Ranges from songs that hearken back to old acoustic Noah, to very R&B-influenced stuff, to "All My Friends," which sounds like an uptempo 1975 jam. But I like it a lot. And I'm a lot less conflicted on it than I was with White Noise on first listen.

3. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

holy shit yes

4. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

he posted a clip of "All My Friends" on his IG story back when he was making it and it sounded awesome. Cant wait for that one!

Craig Manning likes this.
  5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

So more of a collection of songs kind of album?

I couldn’t tell if album was going to have a running theme or vibe, but it sounds like he’s exploring musically still to broaden the “Noah sound”.

6. Craig Manning

There's definitely a thematic throughline, and it's less all-over-the-place than White Noise, to my ears.

.K. likes this.
  7. Craig Manning

Also, I hope that "Lover" is the next track he releases, because that one is kind of wild. The chorus sounds HUGE.

coleslawed and Ferrari333SP like this.
  8. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

White Noise felt like a cross section of different ideas and side projects Noah had going on. I really like most of the White Noise era, but it was all over the place, and I am happy to hear Lover has a throughline. Hopefully he releases lots of music again for the Lover era too.

9. Craig Manning

The sequencing here is really interesting, in that he sort of switches back and forth between the more classic Noah stuff and the more out there stuff.

10. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Favorite songs after a few listens?

11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Does it work or does it feel like two different EP’s combined?

12. Craig Manning

Nah, it works.

.K. likes this.
  13. Craig Manning

The acoustic/singer-songwriter stuff is really hitting me hard on these first listens, because I just love that side of Noah and haven't gotten enough of it lately. So "Watermelon," "Audrey Hepburn," and "Wild Horses" are all early favorites for me, along with "Robin Williams."

But I love a lot of the 80s-leaning stuff, too, like "Lover," "Lose You," and "All My Friends."

I'm surprised at how many immediate highlights there are for me.

14. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

This is going to come out at a perfect time for me. Should be getting bar exam results that week or the week after, so it's good to have something to look forward to. I don't go back to white noise ofte at all, and pumped that you like this one a lot more. Anything you can share about themes?

15. Craig Manning

Not a ton yet. It seems less high concept than the last record. More of a relationship record.

.K. likes this.
  16. Craig Manning

Also, someone said he was covering "The Scientist" on an IG story right? The opening lines of "So What" are a direct allusion to that song.

zmtr and Slangster like this.
  17. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

Craig, my hype levels are through the roof. this all sounds incredible.

zmtr and Craig Manning like this.
  18. Craig Manning

Yeah, this is really fucking good. I was lukewarm on White Noise and tried really hard to love it because of how much the two albums that preceded it had meant to me. And it's still a good record that is about 50 percent great songs, but a bunch of it never clicked with me. I wouldn't say this "goes back" to what he was doing on Ledges and Carry the Ghost. If anything, it's marrying his folk/singer-songwriter roots with the pop/R&B stuff he's obviously most interested in listening to. But it feels a little more honest to me, and more true to who he is as an artist/what his talents are. I think people will love it.

So that's one great album called Lover coming out at August 23. I really hope the other one is as much of a pleasant surprise to me, because Noah and Taylor have actually followed weirdly similar trajectories this decade for me, in terms of their progression and my decline of really loving their music. Ha.

19. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

So glad he's coming back to Norway in January, bought tickets like 10 mins ago. And I can't fucking wait for this album, especially after your comments Craig.

20. zmtr

Trusted

The only thing I could possibly anticipate more than this is a new Bon Iver record. I’m going to have both at the same time. Ughhhhhhh

21. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

it’s gonna be a goooood fall.

22. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

23. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Wasn't completely sold on "Lover"until the final minute. Whoa.

24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah I dig it; didn't hit me as hard as Robin Williams, but still into it

25. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

This one did way more for me on my first listen than “Robin Williams” did. Awesome.