Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Noah Gundersen - Lover (August 23, 2019) Album • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Slangster, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Newsletter went out with my longer thoughts.

It’s good. Really good. It just might be great great, but I’ll need some more time to dive into the songs.

bradsonemanband and sean_rugy like this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Interesting that @Jason Tate have almost entirely different early favorites!

bradsonemanband likes this.
  3. Feel like that’s a good sign. I just read your early favs and was like “oh yeah those were way good too” ...

Craig Manning likes this.
  4. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

5. while I appreciated the artistic and sonic exploration on White Noise, it was my least listened to Noah album by a large margin, and most of the songs never grew on me. I was disappointed in myself for not liking it more than I did, but the sequencing combined with a few tracks that I couldn’t get through really bummed me out.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  6. Lucyford7

BrynneC.

It really was a tough listen, White Noise. I loved the first single, the muted palm chords, the whispered Springsteen vox, and it built up great into the chorus and then the record was all over the place. I don’t think even with the b-sides I could come up with ten tracks from that session that would make it good. I loved the show in St. Paul on the first tour behind White Noise, the whole family played, and briefly chatted after the show, Noah is extremely humbling, and he radiates, “Springsteen of the West Coast”. I see him in the vein of Springsteen and the Beastie Boys, where he will take risks. He will go down as one of the best of our time, I’m quite sure of it.

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. Mustache_Band

New song is great.

8. Craig Manning

Knowing your love for The 1975, I thought "All My Friends" would be THE jam for you!

Also, for some reason I thought Carry the Ghost was your favorite record from him. That was your album of the year that year, right? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

9. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

There was nothing in the song a Lover musically that amazed me. Noah’s got a great voice and it felt like he was holding back a lot in the first half of the song. I do think that when the album comes out I’ll probably really enjoy it a listen from front to back album (which as much as I liked White Noise, Cocaine Sex and Alcohol just doesn’t work for me).

10. vidiviciveni

Trusted

This albums going to kill me because I had a brief little summer romance with a girl who I showed Robin Williams to and she went home and listened to his whole discography and loved it, and now we parted ways and I’m stuck with that damn song

11. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

Holy HELL do I ever love Lover

Just please give me an entire album of shit like this

12. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Can't stop listening to Lover.

13. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Dealing with some... struggles with my husband right now and Lover is gutting me right now. Jesus.

CarpetElf likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

Spun White Noise on the turntable today for the first time in awhile. I'm still conflicted on it, but I think it's better than I give it credit for, and it makes more sense to me in his discography now that I've heard this album. Side one is absolutely stacked, and it's still the best conclusion to a Noah record. Those last two songs still knock me on my ass. Also, "Bad Desire" is underrated, and I'd absolute take a John Mayer/Battle Studies-style pop-rock album from him at some point.

coleslawed likes this.
  15. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

My biggest complaint of White Noise was its length. Tons of terrific songs on it though.

16. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

White noise is insanely good

coleslawed likes this.
  17. i don’t return to it often enough but send the rain is definitely in competition for his best song

18. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

this is correct.

19. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

"Dry Year" is a top 3 Noah song for me. Recorded the night of Trump's election, and it just... man.

Somedays the world feels like a building on fire,
    But everyone's ignoring the smoke.
    You would vote for a comedian
    If he could comfort you with a joke.

20. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Incredible. Agreed 100%

21. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

That song has so many moments that hit so hard. My personal favorite:

We get by on consumer masturbation
    Sensation is satiation
    The accumulation of all your high school insecurities
    All your lost love and aspiration
    All your failed attempts at inspirational speeches
    You give yourself at night when you can't sleep
    When everyone on the internet is far more interesting
    And far more happy and far more happy
    And far more
    Tell me where all of this is going to, going to...

22. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Yeah, I cut this part from my quote because it felt like a different thought from the Trump point, but it's one of the best emotional "I am saying something" type climaxes in his discography. The whole song is stunning.

coleslawed and Justin Roux like this.
  23. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

It's one of the most crushing moments I've ever heard, his delivery really sells it.

24. Craig Manning

Plus the way “Dry Year” pairs so perfectly with “Send the Rain” makes it even more special.

25. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

I'm listening to Robin Williams like ten times a day now. Ready for this record

I should go back and listen to White Noise in full, I remember feeling pretty let down with it after how fucking insanely Carry the Ghost affected me