Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Noah Gundersen - A Pillar of Salt (Oct. 8, 2021) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Slangster, Sep 9, 2021.

1. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Haven’t listen to him since his debut album, but the album title intrigued me so I decided to buy this one.

Wow, that final track is stunning.

Does he sing like that anywhere else in his discography?

Overall I quite like the chill vibe of the record. Need to dive into the lyrical content a bit more.

coleslawed and Fixed Glitch like this.
  2. Fixed Glitch

AP Attitude Era Superstar Supporter

I agree “Always There” is really powerful. At first I agreed with others on the album being too heavy. But after more listens I am enjoying the later half more and more. “Bright Lost Things” is beautiful as well. And “Sleepless in Seattle” had so many plays prior to hearing the entire album, it’s practically unfair to judge it as part of the album. A really great track nonetheless.

Easily my favorite album from 2021. Not sure if it overtakes Lover yet though.

3. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I love how “Sleepless In Seattle” has grown on me. First couple times I heard it, it was fine. At this point it’s one of my favorite songs on the record.

Jusscali and coleslawed like this.
  4. Matt Chylak

You might want to check out “Heartbreaker” from Carry The Ghost, which is the first time he really goes for broke there and the instrumentation matches him.

The final track on WHITE NOISE, “SEND THE RAIN”, has a similar peak, but I would definitely listen to as part of a two-song run with “DRY YEAR” because those songs are definitely meant to pair (and I think “DRY YEAR” might have done the best job writing lyrics about what it felt like to live in the US after a year of Trump without hitting you over the head).

One of his best vocal moments is at the end of “BAD DESIRE” and every time I see it live it’s super impressive. Has a more bluesy guitar that reminds me of John Mayer too, which is unique in his discography.

coleslawed and awakeohsleeper like this.
  5. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Sleepless in Seattle was an immediate love for me. I only listened once before the album came out and it was some of the best self control I've ever showed haha

6. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

This certainly isn’t breaking news but Abby adds so much to Noah’s music. The strings on Exit Signs are so good.

coleslawed and .K. like this.
  7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Her vocal contribution in Dying Now is fantastic as well. It’s neat how he’s got some Siblings playing with him and they find their way into his lyrics at times.

8. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

I listen to Abby's albums all the time when I'm working.

Jacob Tender likes this.
  9. It's been a tough week here, so I'm listening to the record for the first time now. "Body" just blew me away. I'm very into the production on this record.

coleslawed likes this.
  10. heywassuphello

spare only the ones I love

Got to see him in ATL tonight playing the early stuff. He’s in top form and told a couple of good stories about writing the songs. Didn’t play a single new song which was a little surprising. Might go again tomorrow for the later albums if I see anyone dumping tickets.

Jacob Tender and coleslawed like this.
  11. Matt Chylak

I’d say “Blankets” and “Back To Me” are the only ones that aren’t sticking. They work in the full album flow but not necessarily on their own for me.

.K. and loudasallgetout like this.
  12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

"Blankets" is unquestionably the weakest point on the record. I don't dislike it, but it's mostly just there for me.

Michael Qualiano and The_Pioneer like this.
  13. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

Exactly my feelings.

It's kind of like "Out of Time" and "Older" from Lover for me. Adore both albums, but both have 2 random songs that just do nothing for me.

14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I listened to the songs in sequence and then just on its own. I kind of agree. It almost serves as more of a transitional song.

15. The_Pioneer

Regular

Older is one of my favorites on Lover. Lol

16. The_Pioneer

Regular

So I was listening to this yesterday and I feel like the verses of “Body” have a real Bill Wurtz vibe lol.

17. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

The chorus of “Body” reminds me a lot of the chorus of “Comrade” by Volcano Choir.

18. Turbowülf

I keep seeing how much everyone loves Always There. I think it’s the weakest song in his entire catalog

19. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

:scream::scream::scream:

20. Craig Manning

This is wild to me. What exactly is your gripe with the song?

21. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Damn. It's not like it's my favorite song or anything but it would not end up on my weakest list either.

22. The_Pioneer

Regular

It’s not even the weakest song on the same album lol

like how are you gonna say that when “Blankets” is right there?

loudasallgetout likes this.
  23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

When are the bsides coming out? Also, wasn’t there mention of a new Young In The City

24. Craig Manning

B-sides are on the vinyl, so probably after that ships next year.

.K. likes this.
  25. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

They tend to make way out as digital releases which I like. It’ll be a nice surprise when they pop up suddenly.

coleslawed likes this.