Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Noah Gundersen - A Pillar of Salt (Oct. 8, 2021) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Slangster, Sep 9, 2021.

1. And AFI, Lit, Ludo, Fall Out Boy...

2. Turbowülf

I adore White Noise. It’s probably my favorite now. (Although ask me tomorrow and it would change I’m sure) But I remember being super disappointed that it didn’t sound like Ledges or CTG when it came out. Just gotta wait till it hits you just right I guess

3. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

I think lover is my favorite at this point?

4. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Lover is easily my favorite. He could continue to make variation after variation of that record and I would listen every time.

surgerone likes this.
  5. I adore this. This is so absolutely my shit. Huge lush emotional gorgeously in my wheelhouse.

6. Dog Fish

Mutt

wait the whole album?

7. [​IMG]

8. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Does it do the half singer/songwritery, half poppy thing from Lover or does it lean to one particular side?

9. It feels completely cohesive as one. Like Stranger in the Alps, poppy and full singer songwriter songs.

surgerone, Dog Fish and Slangster like this.
  10. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

God damnit, Jason Tate.

SteveLikesMusic and morken like this.
  11. Ferrari333SP and Craig Manning like this.
  12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Haha, busy weekend, so I didn't get to sit down with this until today. But I'd echo pretty much everything you've said so far. It corrects one of my only complaints about Lover, which is that it felt like Noah hadn't quite figured out how to blend his pop sensibilities with his folk/singer-songwriter side yet. As much as I adore that record, it ends up feeling a tad disjointed. This one combines everything he does well really naturally, and doesn't have a song that's a noticeable outlier or weak point (IMO) in the way that a couple of the tracks on White Noise and Lover just never worked for me. You mentioned Stranger in the Alps, which is a good reference point. It also reminds me a bit of Field Report's Marigolden, which does a similarly effortless blend between folk, pop, and little electronic flourishes.

So, very positive first impressions. Looking forward to spending more time with it and really getting into the lyrics. "Sleepless in Seattle" already has some of my favorite lyrical work he's done, just in terms of what that song says and the emotions it's conveying.

13. Dog Fish

Mutt

How…churchy/spiritual/biblical is it?

14. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

He's not really religious anymore, if that's what you're referring to. His lyrics haven't felt "churchy" to me for many years. Carry the Ghost had some songs about his issues with religion if I recall correctly, after that it's been mostly about love, drugs and other struggles, heh.
    But @Craig Manning the lyric master can probably elaborate on this.

coleslawed likes this.
  15. Dog Fish

Mutt

Just a question based off the pillar of salt explanation he gave a bit ago. I was curious how deep it ran throughout the record and if it went beyond that story.

morken likes this.
  16. Turbowülf

I forgot a couple of you cats get the albums in advance. Never been more envious in my life

17. Craig Manning

I can't imagine anyone who is a Noah Gundersen fan not loving this album. It's such an emotional wallop. Might be his best album since Ledges. "Bright Lost Things" is my early favorite.

Matt Chylak, coleslawed, LWS and 6 others like this.
  18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

This sounds like it’s my kind of Noah album.

19. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I want this album NOW

20. Craig Manning

This fucking part:

Where it's just half finished skyscrapers begging the question
    Does anyone care anymore?
    This city was built on the back of a spirit that I can't feel anymore
    Maybe there's a new anger or a new seed for some younger farmer to sow
    But right now it feels like last call on New Year's Eve
    And the bartender is telling me to go
    But I don't want to go home

21. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Fuck me up Noah. I'm ready.

22. Turbowülf

Not having this record right now on this beautiful fall day in Kentucky is killing me

23. “The Coast” is an all timer for me.

Craig Manning likes this.
  24. Dog Fish

Mutt

God I don’t condone leaked but I’d do horrible things to hear this album. I need it in my life. It’s been a weird few days.

coleslawed likes this.
    morken, Dog Fish and Jacob Tender like this.