Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

No Use for a Name Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by teebs41, Jun 27, 2016.

1. teebs41 Jun 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 28, 2016)
    teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

One of my favorite punk bands of all time. I just got back from Amnesia Rockfest and they did an excellent job celebrating the life of Tony Sly. Two stages named after him and a No Use for a Name tribute band. If you havn't heard the records "Hard Rock Bottom", "More Bitterness", "The Feel Good Album of the Year", and "Making Friends" you should get on that.

RIYL
    Lagwagon
    NOFX
    Strung Out
    90s Fast Pop Punk

Let's use this thread to celebrate the life of that late Tony Sly! (RIP)

Here is an Apple Music playlist for people who don't know their work.

Listen to Tony sly by Bryan Williams on
    @AppleMusic.
    Connecting to the iTunes Store.

2. HueyLewis

Regular

I love this band so much. Tony's passing hit me hard. Far worse than any other celebrity death. Im not sure how others rank their discography but, The Feel Good Record of the Year is my favorite release by them. The Feel Good Song of the Year is such an underrated song. It's an all time favorite for me.

teebs41 likes this.
  3. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Tony remains one of punk rock's best songwriters. I will forever love their discography from Leche on forward. They were always one of the most adventurous Fat bands throughout their tenure. I will forever miss Tony. He and Joey's splits/tours were my idea of heaven. Those two have been very important to me in terms of their creative works.

teebs41 likes this.
  4. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

my favorite is probably more bitterness.. I bought the album in high school bc it had cool art work and found my favorite band at the time.

5. HueyLewis

Regular

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't love More Betterness. I mean, I like it, but it's my least favorite record of their Fat Wreck albums. I really like keep them confused.

teebs41 likes this.
  6. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

It's also the first album where Tony changed his singing style to a more clean approach

7. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I remember I always used to make my dad listen to making friends.. He didn't hate it but one time I was walking through our neighborhood with some friends and he rolled down the window and screamed "what's your name!?!?!?" Haha

HueyLewis likes this.
  8. razorburn Jun 29, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 30, 2020)
    razorburn

Trusted

Did a discography run this week and boy, do I still miss Tony so much.

.K. likes this.
  9. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I was listening to a bunch of No Use over the past month, plus some Tony solo stuff. They just have such fantastic music and lyrics that gets stuck in my head.

I heard an interview with Joey from Lagwagon on the Lead Singer Syndrome podcast (which is like a year old), and it just made me wonder what fantastic music we missed out on when Tony passed away. He sounded like such a loving father, husband and friend. I miss Tony too, and I never even met the guy. You can just tell he had such a big impact on so many people.

10. tomdelonge

Trusted

What’s the consensus on Hard Rock Bottom?

11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I think International You Day is their most beloved song. Plus Let You Down is such a great song.

Big fan of Hard Rock Bottom. I don’t know if that album, More Betterness! Or Making Friends is my favourite because they are all great listens that get stuck in my head.

12. razorburn

Trusted

Today marks 8 years since we lost Tony.

.K. likes this.
  13. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Still listen to his music a lot. He seems like he would have been a great guy to know personally based how affectionately people speak about him.

14. razorburn

Trusted

I interviewed him in 2010 and he couldn’t have been more gracious.

.K. likes this.
  15. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

no surprise. You should post the interview link in case I never saw that one. He always gave me that normal guy/relatable/approachable feel in his music. Loved seeing so many bands step up when Fat did that tribute to Tony as a fundraiser for his family. What a devastating loss for them.

16. razorburn

Trusted

.K. likes this.
  17. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

18. razorburn

Trusted

Me too.

Have you checked out the rarities compilation that was recently released? It contains some great demos and alternate versions. Well worth listening to, if you haven't already.

19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I have, didn’t know a volume 2 was coming, but it was a fun listen. Watching that video just shows how much speed they could play with, but they were totally in control of it. International You Day and Let Me Down are still my favourite two by these guys.