Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

No Time To Die (Cary Joji Fukunaga, October 8, 2021) Movie • Page 68

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by thedrudo, May 26, 2016.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Watched this for a 2nd time tonight, and my overall enjoyment of the film went down; the whole final act on the island was so wacky and convoluted. Like, why didn't they target the missiles at the two enemy boats approaching the island? Much less chance of an international incident downing those boats, versus a disputed island between Japan and Russia. And why were they in such a hurry? If those ships were to dock, and take on supplies/a shipment of the poison shit, they would easily be docked an hour or two, at a minimum. They could have instead directed the missiles to just the dock itself, so they'd have no way of getting the stuff off the island, thereby saving Bond in the process. Or they could have directed the British ship to intercept the two boats and prevent them from leaving or whatever. There simply wasn't a realistic need to launch the missiles so quickly, over the entirely of the base on the island.

2. awakeohsleeper Nov 13, 2021
    (Last edited: Nov 14, 2021)
    awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

My wife and I watched this yesterday at a 10am showing - first trip to the cinema since before the pandemic! Only 8 other people, haha.

I have to say that I found the film breathtaking in places. The scene in the woods after he gets out the vehicle and ascending the steps towards the end were both brilliant, desperate, atmospheric!

I enjoyed the film. Never thought I’d see a Bond actually die but it worked. What a tragic journey for him. Overall, so much better than Spectre which I can barely watch now I get so frustrated. I’d need to watch again but I think Skyfall will end up being my favourite from this era.

3. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I realize I'm rather late to the party, but I finally saw this today. I really enjoyed it and felt it was a fitting send-off to Craig's run.

Beyond that, and maybe I'm underthinking this, but now that I've seen the movie, I'm confused by the critiques about Savin's intentions and about blowing up the island instead of the boats.

My thought on Savin wasn't that he had a specific goal to achieve after destroying Spectre, but more that he was stockpiling the weapon to be sold to potential buyers to achieve their goals. That's what I thought the boats were, his first buyers.

And I thought the rush to detonate the entire island was specifically to make sure that they eradicated any traces of the weapon, to prevent any possibility of it being recovered.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but nothing felt illogical to me.

Cameron and awakeohsleeper like this.
  4. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

For me it revolves more around keeping Bond alive, and his bizarre rush to have the island destroyed as fast as possible. There simply wasn’t that great of a need to destroy it quickly. They could have blown up the ships, Bond gets off the island, and then they destroy the island. They instead wanted a heroic send off for Bond, and that’s what we got

5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

And what were Safin’s reasons for wanting to sell the shit to buyers in the first place?

6. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

Well I think at the time he figured he'd be able to get off the island without an issue, but I think the rush was just from not wanting to even allow a possibility of this stuff escaping, because of how dangerous it is. That's why Bond was all "salt the earth".

I dunno, like I said, I might be underthinking, but to me it didn't really seem that confusing.

(shrugs) I don't think he really needs a reason beyond he's a damaged individual who thinks he's doing the same work Bond's doing. I just got the sense he was mass producing the stuff and didn't have a particular grudge against anyone, but was willing to put the stuff out there to those who did. I don't think he needs a compelling reason to do it.

7. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Anyone could have smuggled some of that shit off the island though. Not just those giant ships.

8. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I don't know who this is meant toward, but I feel like it helps my argument, so is it okay if I borrow it? I promise I'll give it back.

9. imthegrimace

yeah I was agreeing with you.

Penlab likes this.
  10. There are many reasons to destroy the island as quickly as possible

11. imthegrimace

Yeah well then name 16!!

12. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Ehhh I still don’t buy it, but I’ll let you have your points

Penlab likes this.
  13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  14. imthegrimace

First blu ray I’ll purchase in probably 5 years.

15. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Would love for it to have a 4K Imax presentation, loved the locales for this

imthesheriff likes this.
  16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

All this waiting, alllll of this delay to release it in theaters and then put it on digital and then out for physical release literally weeks later lol

phaynes12 and Brother Beck like this.
  17. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I assume one factor driving something like this is that all sorts of people behind the scenes probably have bonuses and things in their contracts tied in with box office performance, specifically. They just couldn't not put this in theaters. I assume there must be all sorts of clauses and stuff in the newer contracts for all of these types of large films being drawn up allowing the studio to pivot and change release strategy on the fly.

18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

19. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

This was a real mess. First half up to Blofeld was real fun, the Cuba scene especially. Really fell apart after that though.

20. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

pour a Corona out for the Family

BornToRun likes this.
  21. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Uber driver ruined the ending of this for me and my girlfriend last night

22. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

Wow. I'm guessing he lost his tip.

23. moura

Regular

That’s immensely frustrating… especially if you’ve gone this whole time to avoid spoilers!

chewbacca110 likes this.
  24. moura

Regular

For those looking to add this to their digital collection, it’s now available on the iTunes/Apple TV+ store for purchase