Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

No Devotion Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Dirty Sanchez, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

New one is cool cause it sounds like the cure

Phantoms, Crisp X and Elder Lightning like this.
  2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Repeaters is pretty fucking cool

3. somethingwitty

Trusted

Has anyone heard if they plan on doing more shows once the new record drops? I know Thursday continues to be pretty active but I really want a ND show.

Phantoms likes this.
  4. Phantoms

Regular

Well this album is absolutely phenomenal. I agree that there were some weird single picks, there’s at least a couple tracks here I think would make much better singles than what they chose.

Crisp X and Yellowcard2006 like this.
  5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Same. I’m so bummed..

6. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Crisp X and Phantoms like this.
  7. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

"A Sky Deep and Clear" is cool as hell. I'm enjoying this quite a bit, y'all.

8. Phantoms

Regular

This deserves more hype. Great album.

Crisp X and wisdomfordebris like this.
  9. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

disambigujason, Phantoms and airik625 like this.
  10. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Love this.

Phantoms and paythetab like this.
  11. OotyPa

fall away

How does this new one compare to Thursday? I didn’t love their last record

12. AgonizingFir

Currently Distracted Supporter

It's definitely not a Thursday style album. Very synth and atmosphere focused. Really enjoying it though, will hit harder once fall fully rolls around. Probably won't ever like it as much as the debut though.

13. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I enjoyed my first listen. I don't think it's a clear better/worse than Permanence but I'm very happy it exists. This album is more focused on keeping you in the specific atmosphere/mood while the last album went in more directions and had more pop structures and hooks.

It doesn't remind me of Thursday as much as I hoped it would but that's ok.

Crisp X, Phantoms and AgonizingFir like this.
  14. circasurviver

Trusted

Enjoyed my first listen. A Sky Deep and Clear was a standout for sure.

Crisp X, Phantoms and AgonizingFir like this.
  15. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Hope we don't have to wait 7 years to hear more, new music in the next year or two wouldn't surprise me.

Crisp X likes this.
  16. somethingwitty

Trusted

I really hope they decide to do some more live shows.

disambigujason likes this.
  17. Crisp X Sep 17, 2022
    (Last edited: Sep 17, 2022)
    Just quickly coming in to say I’ve listened to the album in the midst of a very long drive yesterday and I ascended. The title track is fantastic and the intense pre chorus building up to Geoff’s screams is the kind of heavy stuff I wasn’t expecting to hear at all! Easily one of the best things I’ve heard from all the musicians involved.

The End Of Longing was another big standout. The hook! The production! The strings/synths! The drama! It sounds like a long lost 80s synth pop/post punk hit and is also something that I never thought I’d hear Geoff, Lee or Stu on.

Overall this album really impressed me. I’ll have to give it more listens to confirm my thoughts, but I had to talk about those two songs first as they blew my mind.

Mary V, Phantoms and Rowan5215 like this.
  18. Wild. We knew they’d been sitting on this one for a while but 4 years really? They must be so relieved to finally get it out there.

19. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I’m so bummed… because I don’t like this record at all aside from like The End of Longing.

Super disappointed that I waited 7 years only to have that be the case.

20. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

A Sky Deep and Clear is my favourite thing they've ever done, what a piece of music

Phantoms and Crisp X like this.
  21. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Gave this its first passive listen yesterday and overall it left a good impression. Sounds much more layered and interesting than permanence did on first listen so will need to see if that sticks.

Phantoms likes this.
  22. Doing my second listen through headphones and wow I had missed so many layers. During yesterday's listen, I remember thinking A Sky Deep And Clear sounded like A Perfect Circle, and I do still hear that in the chorus and the bridge, but I didn't realize how darkwave-y the verses sounded there.

They really went all in on the production. This thing sounds huge.

Phantoms likes this.
  24. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Excited to give this a listen soon.

25. hollowmines

Regular

Haha the synths on "The End of Longing" remind me of "Midnight City" (not a complaint)