Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

No Country For Old Men Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Lucas27, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Lucas27

Trusted

I just showed my best friend this movie a few days ago and decided that it might be my favorite movie of all-time. I don't know that I've ever seen a movie where every frame and every piece of dialogue is so intentional and the performances are incredible, obviously. I know it's one of the most critically-acclaimed movies of the 21st century, but is anyone else here absolutely enamored by this movie like I am?

2. Night Channels

Trusted

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

Joel, Ken and Lucas27 like this.
  3. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Great film.

Ken likes this.
  4. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Supporter

One of my go-to flicks. I've seen it so many times that this is something I can damn near listen to rather than watch.

Chigurh is the most unnerving villain I have ever seen.

coleslawed and Lucas27 like this.
  5. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Did you not hear me? We can't give out no inFERmation.

6. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

You can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you. That's vanity.

Lucas27 likes this.
  7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

It's probably in my top 15 or 20 of all-time. I haven't watched it in years but when it was in theaters and first came out on DVD, I probably watched it 10 or so times in the first 12-18 months.

Ken likes this.
  8. fronkensteen

Trusted

I should watch this again. I only saw it the one time back when it came out and it didn't hook me.

9. StormAndTheSun Jul 4, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 4, 2017)
    StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

Definitely top 5 for me and a lot of things that are above it are more about nostalgia (Toy Story, Fellowship of the Ring).

That last scene with Tommy Lee Jones is one of my favourites of all time.

angrycandy, Ken and Lucas27 like this.
  10. Lucas27

Trusted

And then I woke up.

angrycandy and CarpetElf like this.
  11. Dog with a Blog

I need you to step out of the car, sir

12. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

First viewing in the theater was ruined for me, film melted right before it showed Llewelyn dead in the motel. Got a free pass as a consolation and went back two days later

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  13. dlemert

Trusted

Watched this before I could truly appreciate it, desperately need to give it another go. No Country was always overshadowed by There Will Be Blood for me, especially since they were released so closely together.

coleslawed and fronkensteen like this.
  14. fronkensteen

Trusted

This is pretty much exactly my situation as well.

Except that The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford has eclipsed There Will Be Blood for me.

2007 was a hell of a year.

coleslawed likes this.
  15. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

And Zodiac

fronkensteen likes this.
  16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Darjeeling Limited, Wind That Shakes the Barley, and Children of Men

coleslawed and Bloodsucker II like this.
  17. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Three of my favorites and they came out less than a year apart.

18. Morrissey

Trusted

19. fronkensteen

Trusted

Sunshine as well.

Dirty Sanchez and coleslawed like this.
  20. dlemert

Trusted

Damn 2007 was stacked

Dirty Sanchez and coleslawed like this.
  21. Dog with a Blog

Zodiac as well

Edit: someone already mentioned that

@CarpetElf Children of Men is 2006 I think

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Disliked this film a lot when I saw it in the theater.

23. Night Channels

Trusted

Why?

24. exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

This is also one of my favorite movies. I missed it during its original release, but when I learned Thrice's "Call It in the Air" draws heavily from the coin toss motif, I gave it a spin.

The meaning of the film wasn't readily apparent to me, and I scoured the internet looking for a satisfying explanation. This is the best one I found. Even then, it's a densely layered movie with incredible performances and themes. A classic.

25. Watched this for the first time the other night. Loved the first 2/3s but overall I felt that Fargo already did what I feel this movie tries to do, and did it better.

I kind of felt cheated with the ending and felt less like it had this great ending, but more that the story didn't know how to end. Granted I've never read the book so I'm not sure how close it is to the source.

Not that I needed some crazy action stand off but it felt that there was no resolution and not in the way that some movies end on a dark note, but just skipping over Brolin's character's death after a fade to black felt lacking especially after spending so much time with him.

I've also read about the themes of fate and chance but I don't know how much I stand behind that. Chigur (spelling?) just felt like a remorseless killer and less of a Two-Face like character who would stand by the coin toss.

Or I'm just dense and spend too much time on Avengers movies and I don't have the ability to dig deeper haha.