Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nintendo Video Game • Page 1383

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by zigbigwig, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

How

dare

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  2. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

It does feel a bit like an extended tech demo. Would love a longer version with 5-6 more islands. Still glad I bought it, though.

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  3. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Was disappointed that you can’t enter the marathon and can only race Avery the same few routes

4. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

AndrewSoup and maldoror like this.
  5. The Lucky Moose

6. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The fact that Nintendo doesn't outright own Intelligent Systems and Grezzo yet seems like a bad situation waiting to happen lol. Like, Rare getting bought by Microsoft-level bad.

7. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

what have those two developed for them? are Intelligent Systems the ones who worked on BotW?

and yeah, with how many iconic games Rare made for Nintendo, it's baffling that they didn't already bring that company into the fold (like they did with HAL!!) and allowed them to be bought by a competitor

8. Anthony_

Intelligent is responsible for Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, Advance Wars, and a ton of other stuff lol

Grezzo worked on a bunch of 3DS remakes of the Zelda games and the remake of the original Luigi's Mansion. They also developed the Link's Awakening Switch remake.

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. The Lucky Moose Jan 5, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 5, 2021)
    The Lucky Moose

Next Level Games among other things made Luigi’s Mansion. They have been exclusively making games for Nintendo since 2011, I think.

IS is the Fire Emblem (and more) team. They’re not technically owned by Nintendo but they’re so closely affiliated that they even physically are located in Nintendo headquarters. They did not work on BotW as far as I know. Monolith, the Xenoblade team, which are now owned by Nintendo, did some work on BotW.

Nintendo owned Rare and sold them to Microsoft at the end of the GCN era.

10. Anthony_

That's not exactly true. Nintendo had a majority interest in Rare's stock when Rare was technically an independent studio, but they never outright owned them. When the heads of the studio decided they wanted to sell it completely, there are conflicting stories about what happened next. I've seen some places report that Nintendo lost a bidding war, while other sources have said they never actually tried to buy them at all. It was a weird situation regardless and they shouldn't have let them go.

RyanPm40 and The Lucky Moose like this.
  11. The Lucky Moose

I don’t really understand this (maybe I’m misreading). If they were the majority shareholder then they basically “owned” them, no matter who bought the rest of the shares. If I would have to guess I would say that Microsoft probably made them too good an offer to refuse at a time when Nintendo wasn’t doing all too well.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  12. Anthony_

Ah never mind I misspoke

Rare Co-Founder Has No Idea Why Nintendo Didn't Buy The Studio Outright

According to this they were the largest shareholder and owned almost half of Rare's stock.

13. The Lucky Moose

The IS a little weird, but given that they even are located inside Nintendo HQ, I think them being an independent entity has good (financial, maybe, or legal) reasons on Nintendo’s side rather than IS’s side. I don’t think it’s something to worry about.

The Pokemon IP is similar in that regard. Nintendo doesn’t fully own it (but in a complicated way owns the majority of it, if I remember it right) by their own design.

14. The Lucky Moose

Yeah so they probably had to sell their shares to allow someone else to become majority shareholder (because they did not want to become the owner, nor did they went another partner apparently), which is what people read as Nintendo selling them to Microsoft. I guess it’s true and not true at the same time.

15. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I mean, none of it matters if we don't get a new Switch anyway. We better get one soon.

16. The Lucky Moose

I think the Switch is selling too well for them too worry too much, unless of course a new one happens to be easier or cheaper to make

17. Anthony_

Grezzo also helped develop The Alliance Alive for 3DS, fantastic JRPG.

theagentcoma and The Lucky Moose like this.
  18. Anthony_

We're not getting a full new console for Nintendo until probably 2023-2024 so unless there actually is a Switch Pro coming we've got some time before new hardware.

19. The Lucky Moose

Yeah I think so too. I think a Switch Pro at this point is only likely if there is a good reason in terms of manufacturing costs or parts.

20. The Lucky Moose

Then again, the next console will likely be a more powerful hybrid, Switch in the name or no

21. Anthony_

They said specifically last year that the Switch was halfway through its life cycle. So 2023 at the earliest for a totally new console.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  22. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

just in case there are any more holdouts left

Anthony_ likes this.
  23. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Last year I bought an xbox one solely to play banjokazooie, and then i returned it when I was done.

spiffa0 and RyanPm40 like this.
  24. Anthony_

Microsoft needs to port Rare Replay to Switch

Kyle Max and The Lucky Moose like this.
  25. Anthony_

wow not what I was expecting at all

RyanPm40 likes this.