Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nintendo Switch Now Available for Pre-Order

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Nifty. Looks like fun. Hope they keep local multiplayer as a key feature. Games like Mario Party and Kart are what make Nintendo consoles such a blast. Will probably hold off until the price drops and a decent catalog is out (not to mention reviews)

3. Barcara

Regular

Did anyone else think last nights conference was a total train wreck? I went from actually considering grabbing a Switch to instead thinking I'd borrow my friends Wii U to play Zelda.

They played up the gimmicks again and, probably most noticeably, lacked a strong first-party launch lineup. Mario Kart 8 is just a deluxe version, new Mario is coming out at the end of the year. Just Zelda. No Animal Crossing, no Metroid, no Donkey Kong (what is Retro up to?). Maybe I was expecting the wrong things, but even going in with an open mind, I found all of their offerings, first, second, or third-party) to be weak, nothing interested me.

I didn't buy a Wii U but I was so ready to buy a Switch, I wanted to like it and they actually convinced me not to buy one, at least not this year.

Reese's Pieces and omgrawr like this.
  4. efp722

Regular

It wasn't a good conference. However, I wonder how much of the language/cultural differences made it so. I do think they read their core audience wrong in thinking that we still want motion controls and touchscreens. If this is their hail marry, i would have assumed they were going to drop the cheap gimmicks and go all in on the mobile/living room hybrid. But, they spent entirely too much time showing off gimmick tech while still not cluing us in on some of the important aspects of the small, yet important, details.

Barcara likes this.
  5. efp722

Regular

Drop the touch screen and motion control gimmicks, slash the price by $50 and/or give us a substantial pack in. The fact that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which is a PORT, is not a launch title just blows my mind. That easily should have be a day 1 pack in for the system.

Barcara likes this.
  6. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

i can understand people being upset at the lack of launch titles, but Zelda & Puyo Puyo Tetris is more than enough for me.

7. Barcara

Regular

Couldn't agree more with both of your posts. I honestly am fine with the tablet having touch screen and paying extra for that, but I really thought they were ready to develop games that benefitted from these neat features, not built around them (again).

Apparently there's no pack in? 1-2-Switch screamed "new Wii Sports" for me, a fun little game to show off the tech. Can't imagine buying that.

efp722 likes this.
  8. efp722

Regular

I believe 1-2 Switch is the pack in. I think. The whole thing sounds so promising but half baked. Back in October, they promised better 3rd party support. And while they weren't lying, the games we are getting are old games! Skyrim is out this fall, AND IT'S NOT EVEN THE REMASTERED VERSION. I wanted to want this. And I still kind of do, but all I want is that new Zelda, and I can easily go out and get that with a cheap, used, Wii U. And I feel like a lot of people are realizing that today.

Barcara likes this.
  9. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

1-2-switch is 100% not included. you have to pre-order it out side of the console.

efp722 likes this.
  10. efp722

Regular

Wow. Okay. I hope they are prepared to NOT sell those.

Thanks for the info.

11. john343

Well I'm excited and pre-ordered it already.

Barcara likes this.
  12. efp722

Regular

Sweet man. I really hope it does well. Only time will tell.

john343 and Barcara like this.
  13. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

On the fence about pre-ordering or waitting for reviews/more titles.

14. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Concept is cool. But..

In my opinion, I feel like they could go back to their roots and release something along the lines of Gamecube or 64, but enhanced with today's technology. There still is and would be a market for that type of system. Something for the younger generation or even some of us millennials who grew up with Nintendo, to play.

15. miltownrob

Regular Prestigious

i was sold the second i saw splatoon2 and then the botw at the end was icing on the cake. i'll probably buy 1,2 switch just so i can get some friends on board too

john343 and Barcara like this.
  16. Barcara

Regular

My opinion differs as I've stated but I'm glad to hear people are still psyched about this!

17. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Pre-Ordered three in case BB/Amazon/WM cancel the pre-orders like they did with my Classic pre-orders. Never had that happen before... will just sell the other two for profit once they arrive on release day. #merica

18. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Got mine! Very excited for Zelda.